• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to sign this contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blue1togo

I recently started a part-time job as a DJ. Rumor has it, that in the near future, the company is going to have me sign a contract that states that “If for some reason my employment with them ends, I can’t work for another radio station within a 100 mile radius for one year, and that if I do I am subject to a $10,000.00 fine.”

Do I have to sign this….Is it legal?

T

Tracey

This is called a non-compete clause, and its purpose is to prevent you from buiding your reputation on their station, then taking it to a competitor. It's legal, to an extent. 100 miles & 1 year will probably be enforced.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">