• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



State: Massachusetts
I am divorced, I requested a credit report and found my ex (who is remarried and living in another state) has 2 credit cards (from our marriage) still active .. on my credit report. There is no "written" agreement regarding credit cards in our divorce where he had already left Mass. when I initiated the divorce. (We have been divorced 3 years now and those card bills are sent to him in another state.) How do I get my name off them? My fear is that he'll dump them on me and I can barely afford my own bills never mind pay for him and his new wifes life style! (If I need a lawyer.. what kind and any idea what type of cost might be involved?) I need to get eye surgery but can't get credit approval because of the 2 very large balances on my credit report. Thank you anyone that can advise me.


Senior Member
Are these credit cards that were not settled in the divorce? I imagine these cards were open between the both of you when you were together...It was a very big mistake on your end not to settle those 2 debts during your divorce. (I can't imagine why on earth you did not) I suggest that you call both credit card companies and see what it takes to get your name off of the cards. It may be very simple. They may be able to remove your name from the card. If it's not that simple, I suggest taking him to small claims court to remove your name from the cards.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential