• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need my lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

editjeffg

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My son was sick in Peru during his internship. He went to the hospital there with 105.8 f temp. We requested he be sent home right away. To help subdue his cough he bought codine. When he returned to the US, customs stopped him and seized the codine. Homeland Security turned that information over to the county police. They would like to come to our house and talk with him about the codine. Should I have a lawyer present during the meeting? Could they arrest him in my house?

Please let me know asap.
Thanks,
Jeff

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My son was sick in Peru during his internship. He went to the hospital there with 105.8 f temp. We requested he be sent home right away. To help subdue his cough he bought codine. When he returned to the US, customs stopped him and seized the codine. Homeland Security turned that information over to the county police. They would like to come to our house and talk with him about the codine. Should I have a lawyer present during the meeting? Could they arrest him in my house?

Please let me know asap.
Thanks,
Jeff
He should have an attorney. What kind of internship was he at in Peru?

FlyingRon

I can guarantee that if you talked to your attorney, he would tell you NOT to meet with the police. Certainly not without him, and probably not at all. If your son had a prescription for the drug (albeit one issued in Peru) that should have stopped it right at customs. I suspect this product was over the counter there and thus he didn't have the script. That's bad news. He's broken the law. Add to the suspicion that codeine is an opioid of which there is a lot of concern of late and it has no antipyretic qualities so just claiming he had a fever isn't convincing.

I'd have a call in to the attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">