• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to attend Probate to recieve what I inherited (Please Help Me!).

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NightAngelOne

(Please Help Me!).

What is the name of your state? Texas

My grandmother died she lived with my aunt in Hixson Tennessee. My grandmother owned several properties. My aunt was named Executrix of the will. My aunt said that the will was not going through probate. My aunt sent me a certified letter asking for a copy of my Drivers Liscense, Socical Security card and my Birth certificate. I sent theme to her. My aunt said that she would collect and then send me a check. I do not have a copy of the Will and do not know what I am supposed to recieve.

1. Is there a way I can get a copy of the WILL.

Last edited:

S

snoopd791

You should recive a copy of the will if your named as a heir, probate or no probate.Sounds as if she is doing it according to the book so far as the 1st thing they ask for is your ss# and name ,etc; If you smell a skunk I would attend the probate hearing....you can also go to the county courthouse and request a copy of the will...

Dandy Don

You can contact the probate court yourself (call or write) to inquire to see if the will has been filed. If it has been filed, you can request a copy of it. Hixson is in Hamilton County. You need to know the month and year that your grandmother died to make it easier for them to look it up on their indexes.

www.hamiltontn.gov

HAMILTON COUNTY COURTHOUSE
ROOM 201
CHATTANOOGA, TN 37402 Phone (423) 209-6700

Sounds like your aunt at first was not going to file the will, but I'm guessing that the other heirs or someone else advised her it would be better to get it filed so there will be an official record of the financial activity.

It is true--you don't need to be there in person, and your aunt was trying to be considerate in telling you that, so that you wouldn't need to take time off of work just to handle this. The paperwork and everything can be done in Hamilton County. She needed the SSN and other identifying information for tax purposes to report on IRS forms.

Aunt can not tell you exactly how much you will be receiving until the other estate bills have been paid (debts, funeral expenses, taxes, etc.). Probate will probably take a month or 2 to close and then you will be sent your check.

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">