• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to copyright a video before I post it to youtube?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D.A.E

Can someone steal my content after it is posted to YouTube? Can some one use my song after I posted it to youtube? Does youtube automatically copyright your content?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You have a copyright in your work from the moment you fix it intangible form. For a song, once you write it down or make an audio or video recording of it you have a copyright in the song. Registration is not required to obtain a copyright, but you do need to register it before you may enforce your rights in the work. You don't give up all your rights in the work by uploading it to YouTube. See a copyright lawyer for help in enforcing your rights against people using your song without your consent.

FlyingRon

TM is correct. However, there are some special additional rules for songs. Not so much an issue of YouTube VIDEO, but if you make anything that falls into the category of a "phonorecord" which covers most audio downloads. Here's a real nice overview of the whole copyright system as it applies to music:

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL33631.pdf

quincy

Can someone steal my content after it is posted to YouTube? Can some one use my song after I posted it to youtube? Does youtube automatically copyright your content?
Where do you live, D.A.E.? Are you in the U.S.?

YouTube offers several ways YouTube video-creators can protect their content from copyright infringers. You can read about the various copyright-protection tools in the following link: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9245819?hl=en

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">