• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to pay estimated taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SID23

Greetings:

I am wondering if I must pay estimated taxes for a one time bonus (with no taxes witheld) that I just received this month?
According to Nerd Wallet, the answer is probably no (as I have withheld 110% of my tax liabilty from last year) but check with a tax professional.
Is that correct tax professionals? Thank you in advance for your advice.

LdiJ

Greetings:

I am wondering if I must pay estimated taxes for a one time bonus (with no taxes witheld) that I just received this month?
According to Nerd Wallet, the answer is probably no (as I have withheld 110% of my tax liabilty from last year) but check with a tax professional.
Is that correct tax professionals? Thank you in advance for your advice.
How much is the one time bonus? Is that bonus going to be included in your W2 or is your employer going to treat it differently?

SID23

How much is the one time bonus? Is that bonus going to be included in your W2 or is your employer going to treat it differently?
$20,000 bonus. No taxes withheld. Not sure if it will show up on W-2. I’m guessing, no.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
$20,000 bonus. No taxes withheld. Not sure if it will show up on W-2. I’m guessing, no.
In general bonuses paid to an employee are also wages and are subject to income and FICA tax withholding. They should also be included on the W-2. What is the reason your employer provides for not doing that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">