• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I owe the entire amount of this bill?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cake249

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Colorado.
The question however referrs to the state of MA.

We moved to Co. in September 02. At the time of the move we were inusred in MA by Hanover for Auto home and RV. The insurance Co told us that we could not get insurance through them in CO. So I told them we would cancel all but the auto until we arrived in CO. When we arrived we booked new insurance with Geico and drove off into the mountains. Just received a bill for $915 stating that because we had not returned the plates we were liable for the total amount even though the insurance that amount pays for would be null and void in CO. Do we need to pay for the Hanover insurance beyond the time we paid $ to Geico?

cake249

B

BennyDi

cake249 said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Colorado.
The question however referrs to the state of MA.

We moved to Co. in September 02. At the time of the move we were inusred in MA by Hanover for Auto home and RV. The insurance Co told us that we could not get insurance through them in CO. So I told them we would cancel all but the auto until we arrived in CO. When we arrived we booked new insurance with Geico and drove off into the mountains. Just received a bill for $915 stating that because we had not returned the plates we were liable for the total amount even though the insurance that amount pays for would be null and void in CO. Do we need to pay for the Hanover insurance beyond the time we paid $ to Geico?

cake249
I don't know about the laws in Colorado or MA, but in New York, state law requres that you have liability insurance if you have license plates. In New York, if you cancel your insurance without turning in your plates (or your insurance is cancelled for non-payment or other reasons) the Department of Motor Vehicle charges you $8.00 per day, per vehicle, for every day you had plates and no insurance. But that fee is owed to DMV and not the insurance company. Most companies (and reputable agents or brokers), if not all, require a receipt for the plates from DMV to cancel your insurance, which is not only for your protection, but also for the protection of the insurance company.

Perhaps Hanover didn't cancel your auto insurance because you never sent them a receipt from DMV for the plates and you are being charged for the period that you were still covered by them until your policy cancelled for non-payment? When you contacted Hanover before you left the state, did you inquire as to the procedures once you were insured in the new state? Did you ever return your MA plates to MA?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">