• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I pay for an air conditioning repair that was not needed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lucy Chitty

I am from Texas. During the July 4th holiday my air conditioner went out. I called the local repair service T&M A/C & Electric to come and repair it. This company had already been out the previous month and I was still having trouble (that bill was already paid). He had decided then that I would need a reversing valve to fix the problem and when I called and told him the unit was still not working he said he'd order the part. He came and put in the valve on July 1st and it didn't work. He came out the following day and told me it was the heat pump coil and he would try to get one for me but since it was the July 4th weekend it would be difficult, he also admitted mis-diagnosing the problem and would only charge me for the operation he mis-diagnosed. He assured me that no matter what he would get in touch with me and get some type of air moving in the house, the temperature for that week was between 95 and 101. I didn't hear from him and tried calling him 2 times, I left messages, there was no answer or response. I called Chilton's A/C in another town and they came right out. They agreed that the problem was the coil and not the reversin valve and could not repair it until July 5th but managed to get my unit to cool for me so we wouldn't burn up. I asked them to go ahead and finish the repair due to the fact that they were swift in helping me out. On July 5th Chilton's called very early that morning and had located the part and the bill would be $550.00. About 25 minutes later I got a call from T&M saying that he could not get the part I needed. I told him that I had arranged for Chilton's to finish the job since I did not hear from him the whole weekend. I paid Chilton's and now a month later I have received a bill from T&M for $443.34 for the installation and part that I did not even need. What are my rights? What should I pay? Should I pay anything at all? I am a single parent and can't afford this, is he taking advantage of me because I don't have a man to help out? I am terrribly confused but want to do the right thing. I need some advise. Lucy Chitty

djohnson

In my opinion you owe the bill. It was your choice to call someone else for what the first person was going to do for free once you paid for his first trip out there. It may or may not have been needed, you don't know for sure. It could have had two problems. I understand where you are coming from, but you owe the bill.

BoyHowdy

I would NOT pay the bill

If the original technician correctly diagnosed the failure, she wouldn't have had to seek help elsewhere. Not to mention they were non-responsive to her numerous phone calls.

The AC business is FULL of crack-pot, used car salesmen types that prey on people in bad situations. this has been documented time again on several fronts.

what's the worst that could happen by not paying the bill? if they try to sue her, they'll look foolish IF what she says is true. IMHO

good luck!

djohnson

That would be great in a perfect world. But since we don't live in la la land, there laws to go by, and a judicial system to make a ruling when there are disputes. So your opinion is of no use. Placing a lein on the property doesn't have to require going to court at all on his part. During this time of year all A/C businesses are very busy and takes time. It was her choice to go through two different places and not continue to use the first one. You can't say at this point that there wasn't two things wrong, or that the other person would have definitely found this problem first either. Sometimes it's trial and error. You may know you have a fuse blown, but until you take them all out one by one and replace you don't know which one. Legally I think she would be made to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">