• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I really need a lawyer for prenup?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryanf1475

I know the general advice is not to use a template from the internet for a prenup, but can anyone give me more insight about why not? I live in New Jersey. Is it really worth paying a lawyer several thousand dollars to create / review the contract? Thank you.

zddoodah

can anyone give me more insight about why not?
Because the template might not comport with the particulars of your state's laws. Because there might be thing you want to include that the template doesn't cover. Because there might be things that should be worded in a particular way that your template might not account for. Etc., etc.

Is it really worth paying a lawyer several thousand dollars to create / review the contract?
I don't know. Why do you need/want a prenup to begin with? If it's not worth it to you to pay whatever the cost is (which may be much less or more than "several thousand dollars"), then you may not have a need for a prenup at all. Regardless, only you can decide for yourself what is and isn't worth paying for.

Bali Hai Again

I know the general advice is not to use a template from the internet for a prenup, but can anyone give me more insight about why not? I live in New Jersey. Is it really worth paying a lawyer several thousand dollars to create / review the contract? Thank you.
If you really want/need a prenup and want it done right pay the attorney several thousand dollars or whatever it takes. When your future ex-wife/husband heads to divorce court it will probably save you several hundred thousand dollars.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
If you really want/need a prenup and want it done right pay the attorney several thousand dollars or whatever it takes. When your future ex-wife/husband heads to divorce court it will probably save you several hundred thousand dollars.
This is only true if there are at least several hundred thousands of assets to quibble over.

Only if you have enough assets worth quibbling over. Or if one of you have child(ren).

adjusterjack

Because the template might not comport with the particulars of your state's laws. Because there might be thing you want to include that the template doesn't cover. Because there might be things that should be worded in a particular way that your template might not account for. Etc., etc.
Last but not least.

Because as soon as your soon-to-be spouse hears "pre-nup" she's going to get herself a lawyer.

LOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">