• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I tell the collection agency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Fl

i am a 100% disabled vet and i've already found out through this forum and another lawyer that a collection agency or debt collector cannot touch my disability income. my question is twofold. can they touch any other of my possessions (furniture, car etc.).....and do i tell them about my disability now, or do i wait until they take me to court?

thanking you in advance,
vietnamvet

TigerD

vietnamvet said:
What is the name of your state? Fl

i am a 100% disabled vet and i've already found out through this forum and another lawyer that a collection agency or debt collector cannot touch my disability income. my question is twofold. can they touch any other of my possessions (furniture, car etc.).....and do i tell them about my disability now, or do i wait until they take me to court?

thanking you in advance,
vietnamvet
Let's see -- 100% is about $2300 per month tax free -- how about you pay your bills.

DC
PS: I'm 60%

Debt Guy

Tell 'em to kiss off if you want -- you paid your dues as far as I am concerned.

In Florida, your home is 100% exempt.

Your car is vulnerable since the exemption is only $1000 of equity -- not value, but equity -- the difference between value and the loan on the vehicle.

You also have a $1000 exemption for personal property (furnishings, clothing, etc.) but those things are valued at garage sale value. $1000 goes a long way at a garage sale. But, mostly creditors don't want used furniture and used clothing.

I too am a Vietnam vet. I hated that war just as I hate this one. I value those who serve but not the politicians who sacrifice the blood of others for the wrong reasons. It has been over 50 years since the child of a President even served in the military -- it may never happen again. Although I do admit I would like to see the Bush girls in Mosul or Tikrit -- I bet things would change in a hurry.

Best wishes to you. Email me directly if you have more questions.

LSCAP

AMEN to that. Thanks Debt Guy. I have deep respect for anyone who serves or served in the military. :D

you too Debtcollector. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">