• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do international criminal convictions matter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohiof

I agree that it is interesting. I'm not sure how he attained citizenship with his record and I haven't asked too much about details. He did confess to me that one of his assaults resulted in a man's death back in his country, however I don't think he was ever caught for this crime and hence it is not on his record. Would a judge be able to use a crime that he was not convicted of to determine his sentencing? This is a significant thing but if there was no proof of him committing this crime other than him telling me about it, how can they use it? To be honest, he's told me a lot of bad crimes he's committed in his native country but I'm not sure if I should let the judge know? Any advice?

quincy

I agree that it is interesting. I'm not sure how he attained citizenship with his record and I haven't asked too much about details. He did confess to me that one of his assaults resulted in a man's death back in his country, however I don't think he was ever caught for this crime and hence it is not on his record. Would a judge be able to use a crime that he was not convicted of to determine his sentencing? This is a significant thing but if there was no proof of him committing this crime other than him telling me about it, how can they use it? To be honest, he's told me a lot of bad crimes he's committed in his native country but I'm not sure if I should let the judge know? Any advice?
If a crime is unreported/unrecorded, the judge obviously cannot use it in sentencing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">