• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do material things matter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Beth Pouncey

What is the name of your state? GA
My daughter is due in August. I am 17, father is 19, and we've never been married. We will be going to court soon for custody/visitation/support. Will the court consider the fact that at my house, my daughter has her own room and a crib, among other things and at the father's house she has no crib or anything else and she does not have her own room? His house is MUCH smaller than mine, and I was wondering if the court will consider this when deciding who gets primary custody.

I did not mean to sound snotty.

Grace_Adler

In my opinion I just don't see the courts taking a newborn away from the mom, especially if she plans on breastfeeding. Right now for visitation sometimes it's best to keep visits short and to have them at your house so the baby can be in familiar surroundings. It will make it much easier since you guys have all the baby stuff their and the baby's crib. I would definitely bring all that up. They may order joint custody with visitation which like I said I think it would be easier for everyone if you allowed him to visit at your house as much as he wanted as long as the baby still keeps his/her routine. Hey if it were me I'd be happy sitting by the crib watching the baby sleep ya know? I mean just until the baby gets older. It's just an opinion but I think the court does look at these things. They could possibly order visitation and custody be a certain way until the baby reaches a certain age and then do another review. Not sure about that though. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

B

Beth Pouncey

Thanks for your help Grace...
One of my biggest fears is the courts taking her away from me and giving custody to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">