• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do not like private school's enrollment contract, how to modify

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adhoc

Virginia

Enrolling my 13 year old in a private military school, this clause seems really one-sided. They hold the transcripts hostage until tuition is paid, even if he is expelled in the beginning of the year?? and keep the entire tuition for the year if he is expelled, or if paid monthly, expect me to pay the balance due even if they expel him, or face collections? That's absurd. Need help modifying it, or striking these clauses out.
And given my 13 year has been expelled before from other schools, it would not come as a huge surprise. Although he seems to really like that school and did well in the summer.

===========================================================================

Regarding Tuition Commitment upon Cancellation or Termination of Enrollment

• I understand and agree that the Academy's operating expenses (for faculty salaries, facilities, services, etc.) are not fully met through tuition income, and do not diminish significantly upon an individual student's departure prior to the conclusion of the Academic Session.
  • I understand and agree that once the applicant reports to campus for registration, there shall be no refund of tuition nor shall there be any adjustment or prorating of tuition if his enrollment is subsequently terminated for any reason including but not limited to withdrawal, dismissal, suspension, or absence.
  • I understand and agree that if the cadet's enrollment is terminated for any reason, the Academy can rely on my promise to pay the full tuition of within 30 days of enrollment termination. I further agree to pay all uniform charges in accordance with invoicing terms.
  • I understand and agree that failure to make payment as due may result in legal action to enforce collection. I further agree that this enrollment contract is to be governed by Virginia law, and that any legal taken to collect unpaid balances will be subject to the venue and jurisdiction of the General District or Circuit Court of Fluvanna County, including court costs, attorney's fees, and an agency fee of 50% of the unpaid account balance.
  • I authorize the Academy to release the above named cadet's transcript to any college, university, or school to which he may apply for admission. I further agree that the Academy may withhold the transcripts and records of any cadet whose financial account is in arrears, and that the Academy may indicate on such records that the account is past due.

zddoodah

You are free to ask that the contract be modified. The other party is free to say no, at which point you can decide to accept the contract as-is or enroll your child elsewhere.

Not really sure what you might have been asking beyond that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is quite common that a school require all monies owed to be paid before releasing transcripts.

If you want the contract changed, then negotiate.

quincy

For help modifying the contract or striking out clauses, you will need to seek legal assistance in your area. That exceeds the scope of what this forum can offer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For help modifying the contract or striking out clauses, you will need to seek legal assistance in your area. That exceeds the scope of what this forum can offer.
I disagree. The OP can negotiate on their own without any legal assistance. It's as simple as asking the school "What can we do to change XYZ?" Of course, negotiation is a give and take, so the OP had better be prepared to give something up ($$$) in exchange for getting what s/he wants.

quincy

Sure, adhoc can always try to negotiate on his own. But adhoc specifically said he needed help modifying the contract or striking out clauses. See what is bolded below.

We can’t help him with that.
Virginia

Enrolling my 13 year old in a private military school, this clause seems really one-sided. They hold the transcripts hostage until tuition is paid, even if he is expelled in the beginning of the year?? and keep the entire tuition for the year if he is expelled, or if paid monthly, expect me to pay the balance due even if they expel him, or face collections? That's absurd. Need help modifying it, or striking these clauses out.
And given my 13 year has been expelled before from other schools, it would not come as a huge surprise. Although he seems to really like that school and did well in the summer.

• I understand and agree that the Academy's operating expenses (for faculty salaries, facilities, services, etc.) are not fully met through tuition income, and do not diminish significantly upon an individual student's departure prior to the conclusion of the Academic Session.
  • I understand and agree that once the applicant reports to campus for registration, there shall be no refund of tuition nor shall there be any adjustment or prorating of tuition if his enrollment is subsequently terminated for any reason including but not limited to withdrawal, dismissal, suspension, or absence.
  • I understand and agree that if the cadet's enrollment is terminated for any reason, the Academy can rely on my promise to pay the full tuition of within 30 days of enrollment termination. I further agree to pay all uniform charges in accordance with invoicing terms.
  • I understand and agree that failure to make payment as due may result in legal action to enforce collection. I further agree that this enrollment contract is to be governed by Virginia law, and that any legal taken to collect unpaid balances will be subject to the venue and jurisdiction of the General District or Circuit Court of Fluvanna County, including court costs, attorney's fees, and an agency fee of 50% of the unpaid account balance.
  • I authorize the Academy to release the above named cadet's transcript to any college, university, or school to which he may apply for admission. I further agree that the Academy may withhold the transcripts and records of any cadet whose financial account is in arrears, and that the Academy may indicate on such records that the account is past due.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Most schools (even public ones) hold transcripts until there is a zero balance (tuition wrt private schools, other fees for public). Personally speaking, if the school accepts your son (thereby filling a slot another child could have filled), why should they not get the full tuition even if your kid screws up? I'd be making it very plain to your young man that he'll be paying you back every penny if he messes up this opportunity.

adjusterjack

They hold the transcripts hostage until tuition is paid, even if he is expelled in the beginning of the year?? and keep the entire tuition for the year if he is expelled, or if paid monthly, expect me to pay the balance due even if they expel him, or face collections? That's absurd.
You don't like the contract, put your kid in public school. It's that simple.

LdiJ

Virginia

It is a private school. Barring anything that is out right illegal (and none of that is) they can pretty much choose the conditions under which they are willing to accept a student. Your option would be for your child to attend a different school. However, as far as private schools are concerned, particularly ones that commonly take on incorrigible students, they probably have to have clauses like that, in order to keep the school financially solvent.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Current boarding school parent here.

The clauses that you cite are very standard. (By the way, colleges do the same thing.)

You can try to negotiate with the school. They may be willing to compromise on one or more point, but I doubt it.

You could look into tuition insurance and what it covers. However, I suspect that most policies only cover things that can't be controlled (illness, death, etc.), as opposed to disciplinary reasons.

Personally, were I ponying up over $60K, I would be !@#$%#%& if my kid got expelled and that money wasted. But I'd be angry at the kid and lump it if it was due to the kid's truly unacceptable behavior (assault, for example) versus a minor infraction.

The subject of tuition insurance and tuition refunds was been discussed last spring in one of the popular prep school forums. It has been theorized that even in the case of a student expelled for reasons not covered by tuition insurance, if the parents create enough of a legal fuss, a school might compromise, just to avoid scandal/bad publicity.

Your 13 year old "has been expelled before from other schools"- why? It is more important that you address this issue, because it will continue to cause problems otherwise. Are you sure that a military school is a right fit for him?

adhoc

I get it about tuition. But the thing about if he is expelled, I have to pay the entire amount makes no sense to me, I don't care if it's a standard. So out of 5 I want to strike out at least 1. (Clause #3)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I get it about tuition. But the thing about if he is expelled, I have to pay the entire amount makes no sense to me, I don't care if it's a standard. So out of 5 I want to strike out at least 1. (Clause #3)
Why should the school eat the cost of a student slot because your son is uncontrollable?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">