• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do not like private school's enrollment contract, how to modify

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adhoc

Given your son's history, is he in therapy?
He was, for 10 years, to no avail. He has been in a divorce situation / custody fight since he was 3 (that went on for almost a decade) and hasn't fully recovered from it.
I think getting expelled is his method of protesting the situation. I actually understand why he feels the way he does, even if it's a bit misguided.

I do think this will be different, now he specifically wants to attend this school for some reason. it's a military private school, most kids see it as a prison. But he loves it. Went there for the summer school and got all A's with exemplary behavior.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He was, for 10 years, to no avail. He has been in a divorce situation / custody fight since he was 3 (that went on for almost a decade) and hasn't fully recovered from it.
I think getting expelled is his method of protesting the situation. I actually understand why he feels the way he does, even if it's a bit misguided.

I do think this will be different, now he specifically wants to attend this school for some reason. it's a military private school, most kids see it as a prison. But he loves it. Went there for the summer school and got all A's with exemplary behavior.
Sooo.... you haven't had him in therapy since you gained custody? How many expulsions while in Mom's custody/how many while in yours? And what does he do that gets him expelled?

zddoodah

I get it about tuition. But the thing about if he is expelled, I have to pay the entire amount makes no sense to me, I don't care if it's a standard. So out of 5 I want to strike out at least 1. (Clause #3)
At the end of the day, it doesn't make a hoot of difference whether anyone here thinks your position is or isn't reasonable. You need to speak with someone at the school and propose a revision. You'll find out pretty quickly if the school will be willing to negotiate or whether this is a "take it or leave it" situation.

I get it about tuition. But the thing about if he is expelled, I have to pay the entire amount makes no sense to me, I don't care if it's a standard. So out of 5 I want to strike out at least 1. (Clause #3)
If your son is expelled once the school year starts, it is much harder for the school to fill his slot. Why should they lose money because a student refuses to follow the rules?

adhoc

I inquired and got this:

Good afternoon,

Our Enrollment Agreements are reviewed by ***** counsel every new academic year. Every family receives the same agreement. If in the unlikely event that ***** enrollment is terminated, you would contact **** , and we will discuss your situation.

Thank you very much

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
As you have found out, that's not happening.

Parenting, not legal advice: read The Self-Driven Child: The Science and Sense of Giving Your Kids More Control Over Their Lives
by Stixrud and Johnson.

It sounds like you son could benefit from feeling a little more in control of his life. Work with this.

As you have heard from the school, they are not going to make an exception for you. But remember: should the worst happen, and he ends up getting expelled, you still have options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">