• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do parents paying for final divorce bills after bk timing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cyana

What is the name of your state? Delaware

I have a strange situation. My parent's gave my divorce lawyer (same lawyer that I'm using for my bk because he knows my physical limitations) a check from their personal account near the end of July to pay for my final divorce bill. Now the law clerk just called Dad to say this payment (from parent's account) may delay MY bankruptcy filing date. She said (bankruptcy -wise) something about not finding anything that pertains to family members paying divorce bills as it affects bk timing or something. The reason they did it was to save me enough money to file bankruptcy (they were going to pay for my bankruptcy). But they wanted to get this bankruptcy filing agony over as soon as possible.

Geesh. I should have had this divorce bill discharged like the average "Jane" and used another bankruptcy attorney. That's what I guess I get for wanting to pay my creditors. Any thoughts?

Cyana

Ladynred

I don't understand what the law clerk is saying. Since the payment to your divorce lawyer did NOT come out of YOUR funds, why would it have ANY affect on your Bk case.. that makes no sense. If YOU had paid for it, it might be a large expense that could be questioned, but its highly unlikely. Or, if you had paid your parents back that money, it COULD be seen as a preferential payment to an 'insider'.

I think this law clerk is off-base and waving red flags that aren't necessary. Ask the lawyer.. forget the clerk !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">