• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do Police Reports Matter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

caiye3

My fiance was recently in a car accident at an intersection. The driver of the other car recieved a citation for "failure to yield" (she was turning left and my fiance was traveling straight). This citation is included in the police report. The court date is in a couple weeks. I thought this would be enough to find her at fault. However, my fiance and I were told by our attorney and paralegal that because the woman is contesting the ticket, "it's her word against my fiance's" and that "the case would probably be dismissed in court", and so, they've decided to drop our case. But doesn't the police report have some type of bearing?

Kaisha :(

-We really need to be reimbursed for our car (it was deemed "a total loss). I'm nine months pregnant, so we really need a car.

stephenk

was your boyfriend's car insured? if yes, have him make a claim with his own insurance carrier. If no, then his only recourse is to sue the other driver for his property damage and/or any injuries he suffered.

Have your fiance go to the traffic court hearing so he can testify about the other driver turning on the yellow light. His testimony would be more useful than the police officer who does not have personal knowledge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">