• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do Section 179 benefits apply to S corporations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manuel1959

What is the name of your state? Florida

Do Section 179 benefits apply to S corporations?
I'm starting a boat rental and charter business. Can I take advantage of Section 179 benefits if I am set up as an S Corporation? The idea is to be able to deduct the cost of the equipment / boats

FlyingRon

Certainly. You can take it for a corporation, an LLC, or even a sole proprietorship. The key is that the asset qualifies (one of the listed class of items, that it's used primarily for the business, that you both purchased and put it into business use the year you are taking the deduction), etc... There's also some other limitations (notably, you can't take it in excess of your corporate income). Nothing precludes a corporation with S corp election from taking it.

LdiJ

Certainly. You can take it for a corporation, an LLC, or even a sole proprietorship. The key is that the asset qualifies (one of the listed class of items, that it's used primarily for the business, that you both purchased and put it into business use the year you are taking the deduction), etc... There's also some other limitations (notably, you can't take it in excess of your corporate income). Nothing precludes a corporation with S corp election from taking it.
And by corporate income, its your corporate profits. You cannot take a 179 deduction that results in a loss.

Which means that you probably won't get to 179 expense your first boats because you probably won't have the profits to do it your first year in business. Or, you may be able to 179 expense some of them and depreciate the others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">