• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do we need a prenup agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hayeson35

I’m getting married in six months to my foreign girlfriend. I was advised by a friend that one of the things I need to do before saying I do is to get a prenuptial agreement. Basically it’s supposed to protect my assets and properties in case my relationship with my future wife goes down the drain. I don’t know though if this is an acceptable practice when marrying Kiev ladies. I don’t want to do it if it would be insulting on her end. I need advice on this. Please help me.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I’m getting married in six months to my foreign girlfriend. I was advised by a friend that one of the things I need to do before saying I do is to get a prenuptial agreement. Basically it’s supposed to protect my assets and properties in case my relationship with my future wife goes down the drain. I don’t know though if this is an acceptable practice when marrying Kiev ladies. I don’t want to do it if it would be insulting on her end. I need advice on this. Please help me.
What state are you in?

Also, keep in mind that it's not unusual for US citizens to be used by those who just want to come to the US and get citizenship. If you sponsor her, no prenuptial agreement would protect you from having to provide financial support to her in case of a divorce.

LdiJ

Personally, unless you have very significant resources, a prenuptial agreement is not all that useful...and yes, many women would find it insulting. Its more of an American thing and even many American women feel insulted by a proposed prenup.

Your premarital property or any inheritances or gifts from family would be separate property anyway, as long as you do not comingle those assets. Your salary or wages will be marital property anyway as well.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Was this, by chance, a girlfriend you met on an online dating service that matches Russian women with foreign men?

hayeson35

What state are you in?

Also, keep in mind that it's not unusual for US citizens to be used by those who just want to come to the US and get citizenship. If you sponsor her, no prenuptial agreement would protect you from having to provide financial support to her in case of a divorce.
Wow, thanks for the information

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Nah, we met when I joined a travel tour to Kiev.
The reason I asked is that there is something of an industry in Russia in which they look for foreign men (and Americans in particular) to hook up with and marry Russian women. Once married, the women then fleece the guy for as much money as they can, claim a domestic violence assault to speed up the green card process, and then once assured of permanent residency, they get a divorce. At that point, they are set with what they wanted: American permanent residency and all the benefits that go with it, plus a nice bit of cash to start out with. The American guy gets a domestic violence criminal record, loses a bunch of money, and gets the heartbreak of finding out that his “true love” set him up. One my collegues is working on one of those sorts of cases now.

I'd be concerned, too, about getting involved with a woman you meet over there that results in a marriage proposal very soon after you meet — they hook into guys that way, too, not just through the internet dating sites. It is rare that people really meet someone who is the right match and truly loves them in a short period of a few weeks. When meeting possible romantic interests from nations outside Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand (and especially those from Russia and Ukraine) I'd be wary. It is common knowledge among those folks looking to get to the U.S. that marriage to an American provides a way to do it, and there are plenty of people willing to take advantage of unwitting Americans to get what they want. If they push for marriage fairly soon after you meet, that's a red flag that you may be getting set up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">