• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do we need a Survey/Map for Making Half Bath a Full Bath?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vcmsu

New Jersey.
Is a Survey Required to apply for a Town's Zoning Permit to put a Standing Shower in a Half Bath without doing any extension to the exterior portion of the home and sacrificing some space for the shower within the house itself?

I understand a permit is wise to take, but is a survey required for such internal renovations?
Is a map required for such?

adjusterjack

I seriously doubt that a survey would be necessary for an interior modification but, guess what, common sense tells me that the place to ask that question and others would be the place you get the permit for the modification.

Most city permit departments offer a packet of forms and instructions for the asking.

PayrollHRGuy

If you are required that would likely be a local requirement and you didn't tell us your town.

Also, I think you mean building permit, not Zoning permit. But NJ could be weird.

quincy

New Jersey.
Is a Survey Required to apply for a Town's Zoning Permit to put a Standing Shower in a Half Bath without doing any extension to the exterior portion of the home and sacrificing some space for the shower within the house itself?

I understand a permit is wise to take, but is a survey required for such internal renovations?
Is a map required for such?
You will not be adding to the house's footprint, correct?

A survey is not required for interior work but a permit can be required.

vcmsu

I have a half bath adjacent to a room, so i plan to have break that wall in the room and extend the half bath into full.

vcmsu

Quincy, Thanks for your response and the link you sent. So for standing shower addition, do you think i will need a building permit?

PayrollHRGuy

Adding the plumbing required need to install a new standing shower would in my opinion not be considered "minor work" as described in that code.

Stephen1

I don't know NJ (or your local) rules, but I once bought a house that had had some changes made (baseboard heat added, carport built) prior to our purchase. I had the the electrical panel replaced when it had problems. Per the electrician, no permit needed. Then, several years later as I was selling it there were questions raised about the lack of permits so I had to pay for some upgrades and changes (I still don't know whether these were absolutely needed) before we could close on the sale. SO, get permits and keep a copy. Pass them on to the next owner.

quincy

I don't know NJ (or your local) rules, but I once bought a house that had had some changes made (baseboard heat added, carport built) prior to our purchase. I had the the electrical panel replaced when it had problems. Per the electrician, no permit needed. Then, several years later as I was selling it there were questions raised about the lack of permits so I had to pay for some upgrades and changes (I still don't know whether these were absolutely needed) before we could close on the sale. SO, get permits and keep a copy. Pass them on to the next owner.
A link to New Jersey specific requirements was provided. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">