• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do we really need a lawyer to do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jjsgirl

What is the name of your state? NC

I am a US citizen and recently married a Salvadoran national in the US under TPS status (yes, it's current).

We are preparing to file for adjustment of status to permanent residency for him.

My question is this...We moved from one state to another about five months ago and have been living in my parents' home (we're saving money to buy a house). We are both employed full-time.

Since both my parents and my brother live in the house as well, does this mean that I must prove an income sufficient to support 5 people at 125% of the poverty rate in order to qualify as my husband's sponsor?

In 2002 I earned an amount exceeding the requirement for a household of 5, and I currently hold a job with a similar income...however the form requires that I attach tax returns for the past three years.

Do I have to prove that I made a similar amount of money during the past 3 years? Because I was teaching on a fellowship sponsored by the State Dept. for 2 years, my income for 2000 and 2001 was significantly different -- it exceeded the current requirement for a household of 2, but not 5.

I would prefer not to have to ask my parents to submit their tax returns and become co-sponsors simply because we are temporarily living in their house. It appears that the assumption is that I am supporting everyone unless they submit their data as well.

Any suggestions? We are planning to buy my grandmother's house later this year when she moves in with my parents. Should we wait until we move out to file the application?

I'm a bit anxious to get the ball rolling on his green card, though, and would prefer to start the procedure.

P

phwl

Since both my parents and my brother live in the house as well, does this mean that I must prove an income sufficient to support 5 people at 125% of the poverty rate in order to qualify as my husband's sponsor?
No, you have to prove you can financially support only the person with whom you are petitioning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">