• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do You have a right to speak to a live customer service agent for Utility Companies like SCE in California?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sefnfot

Do You have a right to speak to a live customer service agent for Utility Companies like SCE in California?
It took me 2 days to reach a live agent at Edison. I was not able to resolve my issue with the account discrepancies online or through the automated service. The agent told me that there is no longer an option on the phone to speak to an agent. You have to be a scientist or investigator to actually figure it out.
I recall once encountering the concept that customers had a right (maybe on in California) to speak to a live agent.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I don't see anything in my brief search of CA law that suggests that utility customers have the right to talk to a human customer service agent for billing disputes. The best place to ask that question and find out what the utilities are required to do in billing disputes is by asking the CA Public Utilities Commission (PUC), which is the state agency that regulates utilities in the state. See the PUC consumer protection and enforcement division for where to direct your complaint and/or questions.

quincy

It took me 2 days to reach a live agent at Edison. I was not able to resolve my issue with the account discrepancies online or through the automated service. The agent told me that there is no longer an option on the phone to speak to an agent. You have to be a scientist or investigator to actually figure it out.
I recall once encountering the concept that customers had a right (maybe on in California) to speak to a live agent.
Under the ADA, a customer may have a right to speak to a live agent (depends on all facts), but this does not appear to apply to you.

There are tricks that potentially can help you get out of an automated phone system and transferred to a live customer service representative but these tricks don’t always work. Tapping several times on the “0” key, for example, sometimes works.

sefnfot

Under the ADA, a customer may have a right to speak to a live agent (depends on all facts), but this does not appear to apply to you.

There are tricks that potentially can help you get out of an automated phone system and transferred to a live customer service representative but these tricks don’t always work. Tapping several times on the “0” key, for example, sometimes works.
This dint work for me with SCE. Tapping -0- resulted in a repetitive AI response of this is not a valid option then it dc'd.
I tried to follow a careful maze of options, however, when I chose the option to discuss "more info about my bill" I was forced to listen to a lecture about using electric during the summer. the system then would not allow me to exit that lecture by pressing any option. that would be fraud IMO.

Would you support a GOFUNDME non-profit to - establish the right to speak to a live USA agent for at least Utility Companies?

quincy

This dint work for me with SCE. Tapping -0- resulted in a repetitive AI response of this is not a valid option then it dc'd.
I tried to follow a careful maze of options, however, when I chose the option to discuss "more info about my bill" I was forced to listen to a lecture about using electric during the summer. the system then would not allow me to exit that lecture by pressing any option. that would be fraud IMO.

Would you support a GOFUNDME non-profit to - establish the right to speak to a live USA agent for at least Utility Companies?
Would I support a GoFundMe for that purpose? No. :)

You might want to speak to your state representatives instead.

I understand your frustration, by the way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">