• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do you need DBA for each state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dz2019

We have a C Corp and DBA (different name than incorporated) for the state that our main office is located in. I know that DBA is by state and county but I'm not sure under what situations would we need register a DBA for another state? Do we need DBA for any of these cases:
  • We have a client in another state
  • We host a event in another state
  • We open a new physical office in another state

LdiJ

We have a C Corp and DBA (different name than incorporated) for the state that our main office is located in. I know that DBA is by state and county but I'm not sure under what situations would we need register a DBA for another state? Do we need DBA for any of these cases:
  • We have a client in another state
  • We host a event in another state
  • We open a new physical office in another state
It is unlikely that you would have to register your DBA in another state just for having a client in that state or hosting an event in that state. However, its quite possible that you would have to register the DBA in any state where you open a physical location. That is the best that anyone can tell you without knowing the names of ALL the states involved.

dz2019

It is unlikely that you would have to register your DBA in another state just for having a client in that state or hosting an event in that state. However, its quite possible that you would have to register the DBA in any state where you open a physical location. That is the best that anyone can tell you without knowing the names of ALL the states involved.
Thanks for the quick reply, our main office is in NY, we're looking to open offices it MA and CA.

dz2019

I can just about guarantee that you would have to register in both MA and CA.
Ok thanks, it makes sense that we need DBA if we have offices in those states, but i'm guessing we would not need DBA just to do business with companies that are based in other states?

LdiJ

Ok thanks, it makes sense that we need DBA if we have offices in those states, but i'm guessing we would not need DBA just to do business with companies that are based in other states?
Well, there may be some variation depending on what kind of business you are actually doing. If you are selling a product for example you may have to register to collect sales tax for that state.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Thanks for the quick reply, our main office is in NY, we're looking to open offices it MA and CA.
If you open offices in MA & CA then your corporation will need to register as a foreign corporations in both states and if you wish to use your trade name in those states you will need to register the trade name (DBA) there, too. Note that you will be subject to the California franchise tax once your corporation registers there or starts doing business there (and it is possible to do business in a state without having an actual office in that state)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">