• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do you think I will be disqualified for EDD benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

I do work as a private notary on the side once a month I notarize document and makes very little amount. Do I have to report this income on EDD certifications does edd deduct this amount from total amount? (Sometimes i make $50 or $100 depends what kind of documents need notarization)
Yup, you sure do.

eerelations

I do work as a private notary on the side once a month I notarize document and makes very little amount. Do I have to report this income on EDD certifications does edd deduct this amount from total amount? (Sometimes i make $50 or $100 depends what kind of documents need notarization)
Yup, you sure do.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Every state has an allowable amount that you can earn without it affecting your benefits. In my state, which is not yours, you can earn up to one third of your weekly benefits and they will not take any offset. More than a third, and there is a dollar-for-dollar offset. I don't know offhand what it is in California, but yes, you have to report it; no, they will not necessarily make any deductions. It will depend on how much you earn.

Chyvan

Have you done this work since you applied for UI? If not, I suggest you stop doing it. The last thing you want to deal with is "joining the ranks of the self employed." That $50 to $100 per month could cost you your whole UI claim.

commentator

Horsefeathers. The uemployment system does not object to your working at a regular little side job like this while receiving benefit. You just need to report it.

BE SURE that you report the work in the Sunday through Saturday week that it was worked, NOT when you get paid for it. It is to be reported in GROSS wages, not net. So if you work on Saturday and make $20 per hour, eight hours, you'd report $160 in the weekly certification you submit when that week is passed. It is not necessary that the reporting be to the exact penny accurate so much as that it be reported in the correct week, the actual Sunday through Saturday that you work it. The agency will do the calculation according to the state's particular procedure, giving you a certain amount without affecting your benefits, reducing them if appropriate, noting that you reported the weeks earnings, etc.

You will receive the U.I. benefit for the week, minus any deduction for the part time work that they need to take. If you make OVER the amount of your weekly benefit amount and report it, it will automatically stop the claim and you will have to re-open the claim to file for the following week. If you are consistently reporting more than you make on your weekly claim amount, you will have rendered yourself ineligible for unemployment benefits (for those weeks.) If your work then drops down in amount or hours, re-open the claim.

What would happen if you refuse to work any more on that job, is that guess what??? During the drawing of your unemployment claim, you have refused a job, turned down a job, stopped working on a job, and whether or not you report it, you should have. And since you have quit a job, you could end up disqualifying yourself for benefits. They'd need to do a decision on whether or not the job was suitable. Even if it is not determined to be suitable, your claim has been stopped, and lots of additional hold ups are added. Why give up your on-going part time gig and possibly cause yourself trouble when there's absolutely no need to do so? Just report it correctly, each week, after the week in which the money was earned.

And remember, within the u.i. system (which sees all reported wages from covered employers) there will be reported wages that show up from where you have been working on that job during the same time frame when you filed the unemployment claim. And when the agency receives this cross matched information, there will be an investigation. First they'd check your claim forms. Is any money being reported from xyz? If there is, they'll check to make sure it's reported correctly. If not, perhaps a meeting with you to get clarification of the whens and how muchs. We assume you have check stubs. But you're still good. You were making a good faith effort to report this income correctly. It's not fraud overpayment. If it's fairly accurate reporting, you may never hear a word from them.

Scenario two. The agency will check your claim and find NO money reported from xyz. They may contact xyz. "Oh, she quit when she got on unemployment!" they are told. Not good for you.

They will contact you. Did you quit this job? they will ask you. If you did, they'll ask, why did you not report that you had quit the job on your weekly certification? And this is how you get a problem with your unemployment benefits and that $50 or $100 a week ends up costing you your whole claim.

If you're reporting the money, receiving part of your U.I. check, perhaps having it reduced by a small amount each week, or perhaps not even making enough to affect your check, but still reporting it as it should be, then it will be okay. You will not receive a fraud overpayment notice of investigation and have to go off down that road.

Any reduction of your weekly benefit due to doing this work is NOT lost from the amount you can draw in total. It simply hangs around in the total, so that you could end up drawing more than a total of 26 weeks, but at a lesser weekly amount than you started out with. Playing silly games to try to "keep your benefits" based on this advice would be foolish.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have personally done part time work while collecting unemployment, and reported it. It not only did not "cost me my whole claim" but I earned enough so that when my first claim ran out, I had earned enough for a second one, and the claims examiner commented on how these side jobs proved that I was taking my work search seriously. It not only didn't hurt me with the DUA, it helped me.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She has none. Elsewhere she has admitted that she has no qualifications to be advising people on their UI claims. She won a disputed claim once and thinks that makes her an expert.

Chyvan

She has none. Elsewhere she has admitted that she has no qualifications to be advising people on their UI claims. She won a disputed claim once and thinks that makes her an expert.
Then you link where I said I only won once. At that time, I'd won three board of review appeals. The number has gone up since then.

I can find plenty of threads where I made a huge difference.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/ohio-unemployment-disallowed-due-to-lack-of-qualifying-weeks-appeal-2nd-time.608090/page-2

Just remember Isabelle from here. You championed for Commentator and her 30 years of experience when she was clearly off a quarter in her calculations rather than double checking her work, instead, you bashed me. I know you get some perverse pleasure out of criticizing people, but be right and accurate when you do it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, and Isabelle was in 2014. That's a long time to be hanging your hat on your supposed expertise. You're also very quick to claim credit when it's unclear whether the poster received benefits because of you or in spite of you.

Chyvan

When it comes to the board of review appeals, I know it's me because I write them, and the claimant has invariably already lost with the agency and the tribunal.

As to Isabelle from 2014, there's not a lot of traffic on this site for UI matters. However, the date doesn't matter. It's a perfect representation of what you do: Commentator is always right, so therefore I must be wrong. I could find others, but the links just get deleted. I've asked you before to post just one UI thread from anywhere where you actually made a difference on a case that sure looked like a loser. I know I have, and you do too, but you'd never want to admit to it.

quincy

When it comes to the board of review appeals, I know it's me because I write them, and the claimant has invariably already lost with the agency and the tribunal.

As to Isabelle from 2014, there's not a lot of traffic on this site for UI matters. However, the date doesn't matter. It's a perfect representation of what you do: Commentator is always right, so therefore I must be wrong. I could find others, but the links just get deleted. I've asked you before to post just one UI thread from anywhere where you actually made a difference on a case that sure looked like a loser. I know I have, and you do too, but you'd never want to admit to it.
You are admitting to practicing law without a license?

Chyvan

You are admitting to practicing law without a license?
Debateable. The person never pays me. They know full well I'm nothing. The claimant reads it, can change it, and they sign and submit it. There's also no requirement that submissions to the board of review be done by attorneys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">