• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Docking exempt employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmv1001

What is the name of your state? NY

How can overtime ineligible employees be docked for being an hour late and not given the opportunity to make up the time?

Beth3

Docked how? Are you saying the employee's paycheck was actually docked or that his vacation/paid time off bank was docked for the time?

jmv1001

Exempt employees-docking?

NY
My title is designated as overtime exempt, yet if I am 15 minutes late or leave 15 minutes early I have to charge leave. I thought exempt employees could make up the time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is not illegal for an employer to charge PTO or vacation time against absences,tardiness or early leaving, although the level of it that you describe seems petty to me.

Beth3

What cbg said. Plus your employer has no obligation to let you make up the time or flex your work schedule even if you are an exempt employee. It may be a smart thing for them to allow in some circumstances but they aren't compelled to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">