• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Docking money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Maryland
My husband works at Universal Ford of Baltimore, a car dealership. He is a parts salesman. The owner of the dealership is holding his check because a customer to which my husband sold parts bounced a check to the dealership. The owner is taking the money owed by this customer out of his check. $600.00 is alot of money to us and if I'm not mistaken that is what businesses have insurance for. Please help me. I don't think it's legal what he's doing and I want to know hat recourse I have.
Thank you.


Senior Member
I don't know what Maryland law is on this - if you don't get a definitive answer here, your husband should call MD's Department of Labor immediately.

In all 50 States, it is unlawful to withhold the employee's paycheck. Whether an employee can be docked pay under certain circumstances is entirely a matter of State law. In most States, it's not allowed.


I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not the one splitting hairs here - the law is.

My interpretation of the MD law is that they cannot deduct this money from your husband's paycheck unless they have his written authorization to do so.

However, I cannot find anything in the MD law that prohibits them from charging your husband with this shortage. In other words, they can't deduct it from his paycheck, but they may be able to require him to write them his own check.

My listing of authorized deductions by state is over two years old so PLEASE contact the MD DOL - the laws may have changed since my list was published, or I may be missing something subtle in the summary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential