• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doctor messed up and then sent my account to collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

71Corvette

State of residence: Maine

This afternoon I got a call from a debt collection agency trying to seek money for a doctors visit I had nearly two years ago. Apparently, the doctor's office claimed it had no insurance information on file for me (even though I've visited the office several times since without issue). They have now sent my account to collections.

About a year ago I recieved a call from the doctor regardinging this and they asked for my insurance information. Of course I provided the necessary information. Since I've heard nothing about it since that time, I figured everything was all set... at least until this afternoon. The debt they say I owe is about $200. Sure it's not a TON of money, but I prefer not to pay it out of my pocket if it should have been the insurance companies responsibility.

Needless to say I'm pretty annoyed that, without any forewarning, this was sent to collections. What can I do to help resolve this issue and keep my credit intact? Is it too late to have the doctor charge the insurace as they should have? What are my options?

Thanks!

Last edited:

71Corvette

Bump... Anyone have an idea for a good approach? My first instinct is to start with the doctors office but I realize they've probably already sold the debt and probably won't have any interest in rectifying the problem.

Surely someone has a good approach to this issue. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">