• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doctor withholding info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Preggowithtwins

Junior Member
What is the name of your state? NewYork

Ok, well, I have been seeing different OB doctors, in different branches of this hospital I am currently going to. Now, they did a sono on me at 18 weeks (Fifth month), and they told me I was having ONE baby, and I asked the person doing the sonogram a second time, just to make sure how many babies are there, and she told me ONE. So then, Thursday, I decide to switch hospitals, and I sign the release form for my records, now, at this point, NO ONE has told me I am having twins, even when I asked my doctor how many babies am I having, and he told me ONE, and I went through the records and here it is, right smack dab on the paper saying, "This patient is having twins". My mother in law who is a nurse looked over the records and told me yes, the chart is accurate, and it isn't right that everyone neglected to tell me about the twins. So, I wanted to know... do I have a lawsuit? The doctor ALSO neglected to give me a blood test that I needed for my WIC until I brought it up. Had I not gone to apply for the WIC, I would have never known that he didn't order a specific blood test that is CRUCIAL to my health, as well as the babies' health. :confused:
 


rmet4nzkx

Senior Member
I think there is more to this story than you are telling us.
What date did you have the Ultrasound?
When you had the ultrasound at 18 weeks what was the date of your baby in weeks and days?
What test is required for WIC? If it was confirmation of pregnancy several tests will confirm pregnancy including but not limited to, Ultrasound.
When did you ask to have this test done?
How did not getting this unnamed test affect your health or the health of your pregnancy?
What kind of insurance do you have?
How far along are you now?
Was this a planned pregnancy?
Do you smoke, do recreational drugs or drink alcohol, if so, stop.
Were you taking a prenatal vitamin and extra folate prior to conception?
Who was this person who gave you the Ultrasound? A technician, if so they CANNOT tell you anything other than than they saw your baby, you are able to request a "picture" and copies of the US report, when did you do this?
Twins can be tricky, someitmed one hides behind the other.
Had your doctor received the report when you asked or was it before the report was ready?
When did you switch hospitals?
At this point, with the current facts, even though there is increased risk with a twin pregnancy, this is managable and unless you would have aborted one of the twins earlier and it is too late to do that, I see no cause of action.

Be healthy, and enjoy your pregnancy.
 

Preggowithtwins

Junior Member
freespeech said:
Good lord get over yourself!

What are your damages, would you have done anything different knowing there were twins?
In case u didn't know, moron... Not many pregnancies make it successfully up to where I have made it to. I am currently eight months pregnant. If u didn't have anything positive to say, you should've kept it to yourself. :rolleyes:
 

Preggowithtwins

Junior Member
Below, beside your questions, I have submitted my answers.

What date did you have the Ultrasound? Sometime in May... when I was 18 weeks along.
When you had the ultrasound at 18 weeks what was the date of your baby in weeks and days? When I find the ultrasound pic, I will come back and post the answer.
What test is required for WIC? If it was confirmation of pregnancy several tests will confirm pregnancy including but not limited to, Ultrasound.
When did you ask to have this test done? CBC--This is a complete blood count. I asked for it to be done a couple weeks ago. They just figured out the reason why I have been passing out with this pregnancy a lot is because I am anemic.
How did not getting this unnamed test affect your health or the health of your pregnancy? I have been passing out a lot, and with this test, along with another test they were able to figure out the cause of my passing out.
What kind of insurance do you have? Medicaid
How far along are you now? 31 weeks, going to be 32 weeks next week Weds.(Going into my eighth month)
Was this a planned pregnancy? Yes
Do you smoke, do recreational drugs or drink alcohol, if so, stop. No, I donot use any drugs or alcohol.
Were you taking a prenatal vitamin and extra folate prior to conception? PRIOR? No.
Who was this person who gave you the Ultrasound? A technician, if so they CANNOT tell you anything other than than they saw your baby, you are able to request a "picture" and copies of the US report, when did you do this?
Twins can be tricky, someitmed one hides behind the other. Ok, I understand this, but the results were in my chart, from the bloodtest they took, it said that "This patient is having twins", but he NEGLECTED to tell me that I am having twins even AFTER I asked him about it. (I am considered highrisk since I am pregnant with twins, and had anything happened to one of the twins before they were born, and the doctor neglected to tell me about it, then that would be very upsetting for me, and I would sue the hospital for everything it has.
Had your doctor received the report when you asked or was it before the report was ready? Yes, he did.
When did you switch hospitals? I just RECENTLY decided to switch hospitals (Last thursday)
At this point, with the current facts, even though there is increased risk with a twin pregnancy, this is managable and unless you would have aborted one of the twins earlier and it is too late to do that, I see no cause of action.

Be healthy, and enjoy your pregnancy. Thank you!
 

rmet4nzkx

Senior Member
Preggowithtwins said:
Below, beside your questions, I have submitted my answers.

What date did you have the Ultrasound?
Sometime in May... when I was 18 weeks along.
If you were 18 weeks along in May and will be 32 weeks next Wednesday you were less than 18 weeks in May, or were you measuring 18 weeks in May, see why the exact test results are needed? If you were 14 weeks early in May vs 17 weeks late in May makes a difference. When and how was pregnancy confirmed, did you have a HCG test? If so, when and what were the results?

When you had the ultrasound at 18 weeks what was the date of your baby in weeks and days?
When I find the ultrasound pic, I will come back and post the answer.
Please post the results date of the test and dating, does the US pic say Twins?

What test is required for WIC? If it was confirmation of pregnancy several tests will confirm pregnancy including but not limited to, Ultrasound.
When did you ask to have this test done?
CBC--This is a complete blood count. I asked for it to be done a couple weeks ago. They just figured out the reason why I have been passing out with this pregnancy a lot is because I am anemic.
This is where you are confused, the requirement for WIC in this regard is a minimum and the language does not require a CBC nor does it require that you OB do the test for WIC it can also be done at the WIC clinic, so failure to order a CBC by your OB is not actionable for this reason. There are other ways to determin if you are anemic other than a CBC, do you have the results of all of your labs? What tests were given? What did the WIC clinic test? Was your OB at the WIC clinic? Most pregnant women are anemic, especially those not taking prenatal vitamines prior to conception, with poor nutrition, pregnant with multiple births, this may or not be the reason for your passing out although you may believe it is. What have your blood pressure readings been at your checkups? Have you been checked for orthostatic hypotension? Do you eat a lot of carbohydrates, or carbohydrates prior to passing out? What triggers passing out, how frequently? What has been your weight gain?
http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/howtoapply/eligibilityrequirements.htm
WIC Eligibility Requirements
Applicants must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
WIC Eligibility Requirements

Applicants must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:

* Categorical
* Residential
* Income
* Nutrition Risk
.......
Applicants must be seen by a health professional such as a physician, nurse, or nutritionist who must determine whether the individual is at nutrition risk. In many cases, this is done in the WIC clinic at no cost to the applicant. However, this information can be obtained from another health professional such as the applicant's physician.

At a minimum, the applicant's height and weight must be measured and bloodwork taken to check for anemia.


How did not getting this unnamed test affect your health or the health of your pregnancy?
I have been passing out a lot, and with this test, along with another test they were able to figure out the cause of my passing out.
What were these tests? Results?

What kind of insurance do you have?
Medicaid

How far along are you now? 31 weeks, going to be 32 weeks next week Weds.(Going into my eighth month)
Your dates don't jive with your statement re being 18 weeks in May.

Was this a planned pregnancy?
Yes
If this was a planned pregnancy, why were you not taking prenatal vitamines and folate prior to your pregnancy? When did you test positive for pregnancy, When did you begin prenatal care?


Do you smoke, do recreational drugs or drink alcohol, if so, stop.
No, I donot use any drugs or alcohol.
????Then you smoke? PLEASE quit smoking and avoid second hand smoke as this further limits your bloods ability to carry oxygen AND you will be more anemic than the test shows because nicotine binds with hemoglobin.


Were you taking a prenatal vitamin and extra folate prior to conception? PRIOR?
No.
Were you prescribed or told to take these or other supplements after you saw the doctor? Has the WIC clinic/nutritionist/educator or pharmacist instructed you in how to take these supplements so you get the most benefit? Do you eat red meat?

Who was this person who gave you the Ultrasound? A technician, if so they CANNOT tell you anything other than than they saw your baby, you are able to request a "picture" and copies of the US report, when did you do this?
Twins can be tricky, sometimes one hides behind the other.
Ok, I understand this, but the results were in my chart, from the bloodtest they took, it said that "This patient is having twins", but he NEGLECTED to tell me that I am having twins even AFTER I asked him about it. (I am considered highrisk since I am pregnant with twins, and had anything happened to one of the twins before they were born, and the doctor neglected to tell me about it, then that would be very upsetting for me, and I would sue the hospital for everything it has.
What blood test determined that you were having twins? What was the date of this entry in your chart? You are making a lot of assumptions here and no conclusions can be made without facts.
Had your doctor received the report when you asked or was it before the report was ready? Yes, he did.

When did you switch hospitals? I just RECENTLY decided to switch hospitals (Last thursday)
Have you actually been seen in another hospital by another OB? Why switch OB/hospitals when you could go into labor anyday with a high risk pregnancy, most twins are born prematurely? Have you made a complaint to the hospital administration about your care if you were concerned? Have you had additional Ultrasounds or amnio? Aside from passing out, have you had other problems?

At this point, with the current facts, even though there is increased risk with a twin pregnancy, this is managable and unless you would have aborted one of the twins earlier and it is too late to do that, I see no cause of action.

Be healthy, and enjoy your pregnancy. Thank you!
I understand you are frightened, but There is no evidence of malpractice at this point based on the facts you have provided. I am concerned that you are switching OB's and hospitals so late in pregnancy, rather than focusing on why you are passing out. I have a feeling that your perception of what has happened and what is in your chart don't jive. And even so, anticipating a problem or a possible lawsuit rather than concentrating on a healthy pregnancy is not where you should be, focus on a healthy pregnancy.
 

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How far along are you now? 31 weeks, going to be 32 weeks next week Weds.(Going into my eighth month)
Your dates don't jive with your statement re being 18 weeks in May.
Looking at a calendar, if she's going to be 32 weeks this Wednesday, she'd have been 18 weeks on the last Wednesday in May.
 

rmet4nzkx

Senior Member
stealth2 said:
Looking at a calendar, if she's going to be 32 weeks this Wednesday, she'd have been 18 weeks on the last Wednesday in May.
If you count back from next Wed depending on what 18 weeks means it could be June 1 2005 and OP didn't know when in May the US was done, the dating and findings of an US done at 18 weeks +/- 7 days could have some significance in what was expected insofar as what her doctor did, said, when. A few too many things don't jive and is difficult not having an accurate account of the medical info in order to determine if there is malpractice, so far there are no damages.

Since she could give birth anyday, is it more important to try to build a malpractice case when there are no damages or do what is necessary to have healthy babies?
 

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
rmet4nzkx said:
If you count back from next Wed depending on what 18 weeks means it could be June 1 2005 and OP didn't know when in May the US was done, the dating and findings of an US done at 18 weeks +/- 7 days could have some significance in what was expected insofar as what her doctor did, said, when.
Exactly what I did. And if 32 is this Wednesday, 18 was May 25. Yes, the exact date makes a difference in a variety of things, but the way *I* read your comment to her was that she was lying about being 18 weeks at any time in May. Which it would seem she's not. Little stuff like this does put people - rightfully - on the defensive, and makes many ignore what useful input you do have. Just something to consider.
 

rmet4nzkx

Senior Member
stealth2 said:
Exactly what I did. And if 32 is this Wednesday, 18 was May 25. Yes, the exact date makes a difference in a variety of things, but the way *I* read your comment to her was that she was lying about being 18 weeks at any time in May. Which it would seem she's not. Little stuff like this does put people - rightfully - on the defensive, and makes many ignore what useful input you do have. Just something to consider.
OP's defensive comments were directed towards Freespeech not me, however OP has posted several conflicting references to the same set of "facts" that should be available to her if she has access to the medical records she claims to have, for that reason, it is curious that she would claim to have not known she was pregnant with twins if it was clearly written in the chart based on a blood test? OP makes it at first look like the ultrasound showed she was pregnant with twins, then says it was a blood test, also a technician can't tell her certain things, we don't know what the report siad. That is why I asked What blood test? Perhaps this "Statement re twins" may actually be a question with words transposed, sometimes charts have entries that mean on thing to the people reading them and something else to the lay person.

One place she states she is 8 months pregnant, in another she is approching it. Her opening post makes it look like she had an ultrasound and shortly thereafter discovered she was not informed she was pregnant with twins not nearly 3 months later? So her first action is to change hospitals and to consider a lawsuit when there are no damages? That's why I asked the questions.

Preggowithtwins said:
..... Now, they did a sono on me at 18 weeks (Fifth month), and they told me I was having ONE baby, and I asked the person doing the sonogram a second time, just to make sure how many babies are there, and she told me ONE. So then, Thursday, I decide to switch hospitals, and I sign the release form for my records, now, at this point, NO ONE has told me I am having twins, even when I asked my doctor how many babies am I having, and he told me ONE, and I went through the records and here it is, right smack dab on the paper saying, "This patient is having twins"......
the results were in my chart, from the bloodtest they took, it said that "This patient is having twins", but he NEGLECTED to tell me that I am having twins even AFTER I asked him about it. (I am considered highrisk since I am pregnant with twins, and had anything happened to one of the twins before they were born, and the doctor neglected to tell me about it, then that would be very upsetting for me, and I would sue the hospital for everything it has......I just RECENTLY decided to switch hospitals (Last thursday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespeech
Good lord get over yourself!

What are your damages, would you have done anything different knowing there were twins?

In case u didn't know, moron... Not many pregnancies make it successfully up to where I have made it to. I am currently eight months pregnant. If u didn't have anything positive to say, you should've kept it to yourself. :rolleyes:
.......31 weeks, going to be 32 weeks next week Weds.(Going into my eighth month)
......
Sometime in May... when I was 18 weeks along.......When I find the ultrasound pic, I will come back and post the answer......
Now if she was 18 weeks on the May25 and had an Ultrasound that day and was large for dates or showed twins, that is one thing or if she was large for dates on May 1, another, but a blood test for HCG at 18 weeks is not going to necessiarly indicate twins because HCG peaks at 16 weeks if this is the test she is refering to.

We will have to wait for the answers.
 

ellencee

Senior Member
Preggowithtwins said:
What is the name of your state? NewYork

Ok, well, I have been seeing different OB doctors, in different branches of this hospital I am currently going to. Now, they did a sono on me at 18 weeks (Fifth month), and they told me I was having ONE baby, and I asked the person doing the sonogram a second time, just to make sure how many babies are there, and she told me ONE. So then, Thursday, I decide to switch hospitals, and I sign the release form for my records, now, at this point, NO ONE has told me I am having twins, even when I asked my doctor how many babies am I having, and he told me ONE, and I went through the records and here it is, right smack dab on the paper saying, "This patient is having twins". My mother in law who is a nurse looked over the records and told me yes, the chart is accurate, and it isn't right that everyone neglected to tell me about the twins. So, I wanted to know... do I have a lawsuit? The doctor ALSO neglected to give me a blood test that I needed for my WIC until I brought it up. Had I not gone to apply for the WIC, I would have never known that he didn't order a specific blood test that is CRUCIAL to my health, as well as the babies' health. :confused:
Do you have a lawsuit? No; not even close. WIC requires a CRUCIAL bloodtest? Nah; WIC isn't into requiring testing above the norm. You brought the need for the test to the attention of the MD? Way to go; way to be responsible.

End of story. No need for questions about any other aspect. No need to keep this thread alive.

EC
 

panzertanker

Senior Member
ellencee said:
Do you have a lawsuit? No; not even close. WIC requires a CRUCIAL bloodtest? Nah; WIC isn't into requiring testing above the norm. You brought the need for the test to the attention of the MD? Way to go; way to be responsible.

End of story. No need for questions about any other aspect. No need to keep this thread alive.

EC
My 2 cents worth...

OP states that:
Preggowithtwins said:
Not many pregnancies make it successfully up to where I have made it to. I am currently eight months pregnant. If u didn't have anything positive to say, you should've kept it to yourself
My answer:
You have made it this far.
Stop looking for a way to sue.
Be happy.
Case closed.
(ps- WIC only requires the afore mentioned verification.)
 

zippysgoddess

Senior Member
Sorry, no damages no case!


And, a lot of pregnancies do make it to 8th month and beyond, you can't just lump them altogether like that, and expect it to make your whining look more authentic.
 

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">
Top