• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Documents for US naturalization interview

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marcoticci

What is the name of your state? California

I have a scheduled interview for US naturalization based on marriage to a US citizen. I have been a US resident (green card holder) since 2006.
Among the documents I have to bring to the interview is listed my "spouse's birth or naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship". My wife was not born in the US but has US citizenship through naturalization, from many years ago. Would her passport be accepted as proof of citizenship?
Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? California

I have a scheduled interview for US naturalization based on marriage to a US citizen. I have been a US resident (green card holder) since 2006.
Among the documents I have to bring to the interview is listed my "spouse's birth or naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship". My wife was not born in the US but has US citizenship through naturalization, from many years ago. Would her passport be accepted as proof of citizenship?
Thank you!
Based on my brief search of various internet sites, the passport would not suffice. If she does not have the required document, then she can request a copy. Follow up with the agency that is conducting the interview to verify this information.

EDIT: I have seen some sources that suggest that the passport might be acceptable. Again, contact the agency for clarification.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From the instructions for form N-400:

7. Other Documents. Depending on the circumstances, you should bring certain documents to your interview. You may also submit copies of these documents with your application. For example:
A. Spouse of a U.S. Citizen. Bring the following items to your interview if you are applying for naturalization on the basis of your marriage to a U.S. citizen:
(1) Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years at the time you file your Form N-400. Such evidence may include: a birth certificate (if your spouse never lost U.S. citizenship since birth), Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or Form FS-240 Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America;
(2) Evidence of the termination of all your prior marriages; and
(3) Evidence that you and your spouse have lived in marital union for at least 3 years at the time you file your Form N-400. Such evidence may include: (a) Joint bank and credit card statements; (b) Leases or mortgages; (c) Birth certificates of children; (d) Insurance policies; and (e) Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you and your spouse filed for the past 3 years (or an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years).

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/n-400instr.pdf

Bali Hai Again

From the instructions for form N-400:

7. Other Documents. Depending on the circumstances, you should bring certain documents to your interview. You may also submit copies of these documents with your application. For example:
A. Spouse of a U.S. Citizen. Bring the following items to your interview if you are applying for naturalization on the basis of your marriage to a U.S. citizen:
(1) Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years at the time you file your Form N-400. Such evidence may include: a birth certificate (if your spouse never lost U.S. citizenship since birth), Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or Form FS-240 Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America;
(2) Evidence of the termination of all your prior marriages; and
(3) Evidence that you and your spouse have lived in marital union for at least 3 years at the time you file your Form N-400. Such evidence may include: (a) Joint bank and credit card statements; (b) Leases or mortgages; (c) Birth certificates of children; (d) Insurance policies; and (e) Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you and your spouse filed for the past 3 years (or an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years).

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/n-400instr.pdf
Yes, they want more than just proof of citizenship.

LdiJ

They want proof of citizenship for a minimum amount of time (3 years).
Don't passports have dates of issuance? If someone's 10 year passport was issued more than three years prior, it would seem as though it would demonstrate the minimum time. However, like someone else said, we are the wrong people to answer that question. The agency involved needs to answer that question.

Also, considering how long he has been a green card holder, he really doesn't need to base it on marriage. He can base it on the fact that he has been a permanent resident for more than 5 years.

zddoodah

Among the documents I have to bring to the interview is listed my "spouse's birth or naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship". . . Would her passport be accepted as proof of citizenship?
A passport does not sound to me like a "birth or naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship." However, you used quotation marks, so I assume you're quoting something. What exactly are you quoting, and does the document you're quoting elaborate on those terms?

Beyond that, one would assume that, at the time your wife became a naturalized citizen, she received some sort of certification of naturalization ("naturalization certificate"), and that is what should be brought. Did she not receive such a thing or does she not still have it?

A passport that was issued more than three years ago is unquestionably "[e]vidence that [the passport holder] has been a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years," but the list of documents following "include" neither confirms nor refutes whether it's sufficient evidence for this purpose.

contact the agency for clarification.
Agree that this is the best approach (or consult with an immigration attorney, something California has in abundance).

marcoticci

Thank you all for your answers. My interview is tomorrow so it's a bit late to request any documents. I'll have my wife's passport (issued in 2018) as proof of her citizenship and I'll see what the USCIS officer will say.
My wife does not have a naturalization certificate (it's possible that she had it at some point and lost track of it).
I used quotation marks in my initial post as I was quoting from the USCIS letter I received as notification for my interview. No further information regarding those documents was provided.

LdiJ

Thank you all for your answers. My interview is tomorrow so it's a bit late to request any documents. I'll have my wife's passport (issued in 2018) as proof of her citizenship and I'll see what the USCIS officer will say.
My wife does not have a naturalization certificate (it's possible that she had it at some point and lost track of it).
I used quotation marks in my initial post as I was quoting from the USCIS letter I received as notification for my interview. No further information regarding those documents was provided.
I am still confused as to why you are applying based on marriage. You have been a permanent resident well beyond the time frame needed for you to apply on your own merit, rather than based on marriage.

marcoticci

That's how it went at the interview: the officer changed the basis for my application to be on my own merit (as suggested by LdiJ) as I have been a permanent resident for long enough. Therefore, they did not need my wife's proof of citizenship.
Smooth, quick process: application approved and oath ceremony done on the same day as the interview.
Thank you all again for the suggestions/comments.

Bali Hai Again

That's how it went at the interview: the officer changed the basis for my application to be on my own merit (as suggested by LdiJ) as I have been a permanent resident for long enough. Therefore, they did not need my wife's proof of citizenship.
Smooth, quick process: application approved and oath ceremony done on the same day as the interview.
Thank you all again for the suggestions/comments.
Congratulations! Welcome to the great melting pot!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">