• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a parent have to pay child support to the state after the age of 18?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I have a child who will be 18 in a few months. He has been out of control for several years. We have had him in & out of court for unruley. We have had him to counclers, put on probation, sent him to church, got help with his schooling. But nothing worked, he told us he was going to do what he wanted. So he has, now he just got out of court & put in state cousty until the age of 19. The judge said we had to pay child support until he got out.
He comes from a good home with his real parents who love him very much! Who have tried everything to get his life straighten out, but HE has chosen to pick all the wrong friends & do what he wanted.
His last crime which was his 1st, was breaking into a car & stealing a check & trying to pass it off. Which did not get cashed. Nor did the judge put theses charges on his record. He needs to be punished, but why is it the family has to pay for his mistakes.
It's not far to us to pay for child support until 19. We was going to let him live his life when he turned 18. We still have one more to raise. With this big child support taken out it is really going to hurt our family. We hate how he has chosen to live his life it hurts us deeply. I hope he gets his life in order, soon.
Can we fight the court on the child support?


Always searching

This really needs to be posted on the Family Law bulletin board but some questions come to mind.

Who has custody (besides the state) of the boy?

How is child support paid?

Who receives it? The real mom or what?

Just for the two cents worth... a court order is a court order and if you don't follow a court order, you could be held in contempt and fined or jailed or both. It would be in your best interest to pay whatever the judge ordered.


if he has been put in state custody and you have been ordered to pay support until he's 19, then you'll have to. if the amount ordered is going to put you in financial trouble it's possible you can talk with the juvenile services to have the amount lowered to a figure you can better manage. on the personal side, i've seen many parents in your shoes. in some ways it's better that he's still being treated as a juvenile because it would be very easy to bump him up to adult court and he won't be given as much help to get himself straight. good luck to all of you. I'm not a lawyer. Just been in court with juveniles a lot.


Thank you always search. This was my first time visiting this site so I didn't know where to go.
Us the mother & father have custody of the boy.
We are suppose to pay the support to the county court house.
Who will get the money...I do not know, the state I suppose.


njc, thank you for your reply!

We have someone coming out soon to talk to us, I think it's one of the social workers. I will ask them about the money.
I told my husband it was better for our son to be treated as a juvenile. I know they could of treated him as an adult since he is so close. I hope he does get the help he needs. My son has a sweet & giveing heart, he just lost it somewhere along the way. He tried to inpress friends instead of doing what he knew what was right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential