• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does a policy have to be in writing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

policies

I am being held back from an internal transfer based on a policy that is not in writing. there is no way for me to reference the policy that my director is standing by. I talked to HR and they said that my dept can have its own policies and they do not have to be in writing.
Is this true?

ALawyer

Unless there is discrimination on the grounds of race, color, sex, creed, age, etc. you really have few rights.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

A

Attorney_Replogle

With laws that governmental entities (cities, counties, states, federal agencies) make, they are required to publish them for all to see and read. I don't think there is such a law common to all the states that would apply to an employer. However, it is common for lawsuits to be brought against employers for issues concerning the terms and conditions of employment. Obviously an internal company policy would be part of the terms and conditions, or explain and mention some, right?

So, suits are brought over a breach of contract regarding terms & conditions, or sometimes there is fraud on the part of the employer regarding a term and or condition of employment.

Whether in your state, this situation is unlawful, I am not sure. Yet it would be worthwhile to at least speak with an employment law attorney near you to find out for sure. You can find one near you at attorneypages.com

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">