• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a Tenant on a Lease have to Live on the Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aljcouv

Washington State - my husband and I are looking to rent a house. My mother will be visiting fairly frequently, so we would like to rent a place with an extra room so she can stay with us when she does come. However, we do not meet the required 3x rent income that most places require. Is it legal for my mother to sign the rent with us as a tenant so we can combine our incomes, even though she won't actually be living there? We have absolutely no debt, so we wouldn't have any issues paying the rent, we are just slightly below the required income.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Washington State - my husband and I are looking to rent a house. My mother will be visiting fairly frequently, so we would like to rent a place with an extra room so she can stay with us when she does come. However, we do not meet the required 3x rent income that most places require. Is it legal for my mother to sign the rent with us as a tenant so we can combine our incomes, even though she won't actually be living there? We have absolutely no debt, so we wouldn't have any issues paying the rent, we are just slightly below the required income.
As your (prospective) landlord if they will accept a cosigner, because that's what your mother will be. Also, if she's going to be visiting frequently, the LL may desire that she be listed as an occupant, so it might be a win-win anyway. Communicate with the LL - this is not governed by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">