• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a TRO and temporary orders void the original order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akb0925

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My ex and I split up in 2016 (never married), we made a custody agreement for joint custody, dad had every other weekend visitations, father claimed children on his insurance and our four children were split each year for tax deductions with dad claiming two and mom claiming two. Order was signed and case was closed in August of 2016.

Father has always been a heavy drinker and it was discovered in March of 2019 that he was driving intoxicated with the minor children in the car, Mom filed a TRO and it was granted. GAL was ordered and all 4 children confirmed the drinking and intoxication so temporary orders were then put into place where father had supervised visitations for only a few hours twice a month. 18 months later the temporary orders now indicate Dad sees the children every other Sat/Sunday from 9am to 8pm and mom/dad meet at the police station so father can get a breathalyzer and visits are no longer supervised. No updated permanent agreement has been reached as of today.

Father has not had an overnight in 18 months. Since 2016 he has jumped from friend to family member and does not (or has he ever) had a place of his own. He currently resides in his cousins basement. Mother is the only one who provides a roof for the children or has financial responsibilities. He is current on child support and Mother now claims the kids on her insurance. Mother has asked for 1/2 of what she paid for the kids Chromebooks when schools were virtual as well as half of the out of pocket medical expenses and father has yet to contribute.

Because of the original custody order from 2016 father has benefited greatly off two of the kids by filing them on his taxes as well as now receiving $5000.00 alone in stimulus payments for two of the kids. Although the original court order states he gets to claim two of the kids each year, he is the non custodial parent, he has never asked or had me sign form 8332 allowing him to do so. He is frauding the IRS by claiming the kids reside with him for more than 6 months of the year. He is supposed to state no then have me sign form 8332 and then he can mail it in with his taxes. By not doing this I have missed out on the earned income credit for the past 4 years on the two kids which is my right, even if I would have signed form 8332 he still cannot get the EIC as that is my right only.

I reminded him last tax season that he needed to have me sign that form and mail with his taxes but again this year he did not. Because the TRO was put into place and most everything from our original order have changed with the many temporary orders put into the place since the TRO I assumed the tax topic changed as well. I filed all 4 kids this year after discovering that he again filed electronically w/o having me sign the form. I mailed my return and included all documentation needed to prove the kids reside at my address for the entire 12 months. This is going to cause him to repay his refund and probably have penalties but now I am afraid I may be in contempt of court. I am not sure if the TRO and temp orders make the original void and that is my question.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The TRO and the temp orders only affect that they specifically affect. In other words, if they were silent about the deductions, then the original order stands on those matters.

I am tagging @Ohiogal for her to comment. She is a family law attorney (although, not in your state).

akb0925

The TRO and the temp orders only affect that they specifically affect. In other words, if they were silent about the deductions, then the original order stands on those matters.

I am tagging @Ohiogal for her to comment. She is a family law attorney (although, not in your state).
Thank You. Everything BUT the taxes were changed/discussed in the temp orders the past 18 months. So I guess now the question is... if he files as quickly as he can and never has gotten the proper documents to claim the kids (form 8332) do I have a leg to stand on since I just filed for all 4? He is frauding the IRS and not claiming them the correct way. I know this means nothing but he has zero financial responsibilities (no mortgage, rent, utilities, etc.), I do not think it is right that he has profited off these kids but does nothing the past 5 years to improve his living situation for himself or the kids. I really do not think it's right that he has pocketed all the stimulus money. I don't want to be held in contempt and go to jail for filing taxes but he has never had me sign that form so he is in the wrong as well IMO.

Zigner

Thank You. Everything BUT the taxes were changed/discussed in the temp orders the past 18 months. So I guess now the question is... if he files as quickly as he can and never has gotten the proper documents to claim the kids (form 8332) do I have a leg to stand on since I just filed for all 4? He is frauding the IRS and not claiming them the correct way. I know this means nothing but he has zero financial responsibilities (no mortgage, rent, utilities, etc.), I do not think it is right that he has profited off these kids but does nothing the past 5 years to improve his living situation for himself or the kids. I really do not think it's right that he has pocketed all the stimulus money. I don't want to be held in contempt and go to jail for filing taxes but he has never had me sign that form so he is in the wrong as well IMO.
Your court order does not override the IRS rules. What this means is that, yes, he is not properly claiming the kids and you will "win" in any audit the IRS performs. HOWEVER, the court CAN penalize you and make orders that offset anything he is out because of your wilful disregard of the court order.

akb0925

Your court order does not override the IRS rules. What this means is that, yes, he is not properly claiming the kids and you will "win" in any audit the IRS performs. HOWEVER, the court CAN penalize you and make orders that offset anything he is out because of your wilful disregard of the court order.
I guess that is my fault for assuming, my intention was not to "willfully disregard" the court order. Ugh, I don't know what to do now.

Zigner

I guess that is my fault for assuming, my intention was not to "willfully disregard" the court order. Ugh, I don't know what to do now.
Just so you understand... This is not personal, and you may feel that it is just semantics, but the fact is that you chose to not comply with the court order. That is a willful disregard.

Zigner

By not doing this I have missed out on the earned income credit for the past 4 years on the two kids which is my right, even if I would have signed form 8332 he still cannot get the EIC as that is my right only.
You could have (and should have) included the EIC on your returns. When the IRS followed up, you could have presented any necessary documentation to claim the EIC.
It might even be worth it to sit down with a tax pro to help you prepare amended returns for as far back as you are allowed in order to get any EIC that you are entitled to.

akb0925

You could have (and should have) included the EIC on your returns. When the IRS followed up, you could have presented any necessary documentation to claim the EIC.
It might even be worth it to sit down with a tax pro to help you prepare amended returns for as far back as you are allowed in order to get any EIC that you are entitled to.

Yeah, because he didn't properly file his taxes by having me sign the form 8332 I missed out on around $1500.00 per year because I was not able to file EIC for the other two kids. So around $6000.00 the past 4 years I have not gotten because he didn't have me sign form 8332.

Zigner

Yeah, because he didn't properly file his taxes by having me sign the form 8332 I missed out on around $1500.00 per year because I was not able to file EIC for the other two kids. So around $6000.00 the past 4 years I have not gotten because he didn't have me sign form 8332.
That doesn't make sense. You don't have to check with him and then change how you file. You need to file for anything you are entitled to. When the inevitable letter comes asking for clarification, you provide the clarification. As I said, speak to a tax pro about filing amended returns to get what you are entitled to.

@Taxing Matters and/or @LdiJ - do you have any comments on this process?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He already filed electronically. He filed the day tax season opened, so he filed w/o the 8332 form.
See, though... If you HAD sent him the 8332 as your orders require, you wouldn't be in this quandary. You could file as you like and if the question were to arise? You could provide proof that you did your part. You really don't *need* to wait for him to ask. Do what you agreed to, whether he does or not.

akb0925

See, though... If you HAD sent him the 8332 as your orders require, you wouldn't be in this quandary. You could file as you like and if the question were to arise? You could provide proof that you did your part. You really don't *need* to wait for him to ask. Do what you agreed to, whether he does or not.
Lets just be clear, my orders do NOT indicate nor state anything about a form 8332. All they indicate is dad claims two per year and mom claims two, it does not state anything about me needing to supply him with any documents. His part, per federal law, is once he files his taxes he is to be honest and not fraud the IRS by checking "no" on the box asking if the kids lived with him more than 6 months of the year it would then supply him with the 8332 form that he would need to give to me to sign waiving my right. I would sign it and he would mail it in with his tax return. Instead he indicates they lived with him 6 months or more of the year, which is not true, therefore bypasses the step of needing me to fill out that form.

Zigner

Lets just be clear, my orders do NOT indicate nor state anything about a form 8332. All they indicate is dad claims two per year and mom claims two, it does not state anything about me needing to supply him with any documents.
It doesn't have to. You are required to supply the form in order to allow him to take the deduction. The court won't be happy if you try to play that game.

His part, per federal law, is once he files his taxes he is to be honest and not fraud the IRS by checking "no" on the box asking if the kids lived with him more than 6 months of the year it would then supply him with the 8332 form that he would need to give to me to sign waiving my right.
The IRS doesn't provide the form. You're supposed to provide it without him asking, and this is supposed to happen before he files. In fact, you can fill out the form to cover future years as well. Here's a copy of the form, for reference: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8332.pdf
As an aside, in the instance above, the term is "defraud", not "fraud".

I would sign it and he would mail it in with his tax return. Instead he indicates they lived with him 6 months or more of the year, which is not true, therefore bypasses the step of needing me to fill out that form.
If you simply file your taxes correctly, then it will trigger a letter requesting more information. You can then provide that information and you would get the EIC.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Lets just be clear, my orders do NOT indicate nor state anything about a form 8332. All they indicate is dad claims two per year and mom claims two, it does not state anything about me needing to supply him with any documents. His part, per federal law, is once he files his taxes he is to be honest and not fraud the IRS by checking "no" on the box asking if the kids lived with him more than 6 months of the year it would then supply him with the 8332 form that he would need to give to me to sign waiving my right. I would sign it and he would mail it in with his tax return. Instead he indicates they lived with him 6 months or more of the year, which is not true, therefore bypasses the step of needing me to fill out that form.
Oh Lord. But you KNOW you're to provide that form - he shouldn't need to ask you. We split deductions between the kids, too. Part of my New Year actions - every year - included printing out an 8332 and mailing it to Dad. Easy-peasy.

I'd live to know how old your kids are - I predict a long road ahead of you at this rate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">