• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a TRO and temporary orders void the original order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here is the thing Zig...

The parent who is not entitled to claim EIC (or other tax attributes) hurries up and files electronically as soon as they can and beats the parent who is really entitled to claim EIC. Therefore the entitled parent's return rejects electronically because the dependents have already been claimed for all tax attributes, including EIC.

If the entitled parent is using a tax professional their options to resolve the situation will be explained to them. If they follow their options they will eventually get the EIC they are entitled to receive, but it could take months to receive it.

If they are online filing, on their own, they likely have no idea that they have any options or how to exercise them if they realize that there are options.

This is something that I deal with on a regular basis. I have even testified in family court many times about this issue.
That's a very reasonable explanation...for the first time.

LdiJ

That's a very reasonable explanation...for the first time.
I assume that you mean that the OP not following thru on things is reasonable once, rather than meaning that this is the first time I have ever given you a reasonable explanation for something?;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I assume that you mean that the OP not following thru on things is reasonable once, rather than meaning that this is the first time I have ever given you a reasonable explanation for something?;)
Yes, that's right - a reasonable explanation for the OP's actions the first time around :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">