• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a very small city pension contribution effect my social security benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jay968

What is the name of your state? California
I am 67 and collecting social security. I got a part time job (15 hours a week minimum wage) working for the City of Anaheim. Although they do not take any social security out of my paycheck, the do deduct an equal amount for a 'pension' which is vested iafter 5 years. I have no intention of working for them for 5 years.
My question is, does this amount that is taken out of my paycheck (about $25/week) for this retirement account have any effect on my current social security benefits? Will they be lowered because I am contributing to a pension from a governmental employer?

adjusterjack

My question is, does this amount that is taken out of my paycheck (about $25/week) for this retirement account have any effect on my current social security benefits? Will they be lowered because I am contributing to a pension from a governmental employer?
I think no to both questions but you can look up information on the SSA website or call the local SSA office.

Jay968

Thanks...anyone know for sure? I know I can go to the SS website but sometimes it can be a real chore to wade through the info there to try and find something like this. Calling them during these times, it's almost impossible to get through.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? California
I am 67 and collecting social security. I got a part time job (15 hours a week minimum wage) working for the City of Anaheim. Although they do not take any social security out of my paycheck, the do deduct an equal amount for a 'pension' which is vested iafter 5 years. I have no intention of working for them for 5 years.
Your SS benefits were accrued based on income that you previously earned that did have social security taxes withheld from it. Normally additional employment after full retirement age would simply add credits and cause your social security benefits to increase a little bit. Since you are working at a job that does not withhold SS taxes then you won't have that small increase. However it will not cause your benefits to decrease at all.

Jay968

Thank you so much. I do appreciate that. The reason I was concerned was because I had read someplace that when working in a govt. job, a part of your SS benefits can be reduced if you contribute to a retirement fund. But I had no idea whether this applied if you are already collecting benefits.

LdiJ

Thank you so much. I do appreciate that. The reason I was concerned was because I had read someplace that when working in a govt. job, a part of your SS benefits can be reduced if you contribute to a retirement fund. But I had no idea whether this applied if you are already collecting benefits.
I understand why you got confused, however what you read was not talking about people who were already collecting benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">