• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a win by default on a "Special Civil part" summons go on a credit report yet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bethy

Does a win by default on a "Special Civil part" summons go on a credit report yet?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ and PA (ex lives in NJ, where the case is filed, I live in PA)

I filed a Special Civil Part against my ex for a loan I took out for him a few months into our marriage to get his home out of foreclosure and truck out of repo. (no, I stupidly did not do a credit ck on him prior to being married - hope someone else is learning from this). After his house was clear, he felt since we were married (3rd time for him, 2nd for me) that the loan should be considered "one pot" and not owe it back, but at the time told me he'd pay me back in 6 weeks (when the house would supposedly be sold - never made it on the market even after 7 years).

The Speical Civil Part case defaulted last week (he didn't respond) so I'm told I now need to "File for Judgement" in NJ in which time i was hoping we could make some deal. Until that 6 months is up, is his credit currently being affected? I would like to take as long as i can to try to work a plan out. He apologized, but has no intent on paying anything back. He said at this point I have ruined his credit for 7 years, so why bother. There's nothing filed with the court (that would be 2 steps from now if I garnished his payck or had a lien on his house) financially so I'm just looking to see if indeed his credit is ruined for 7 years at this point.

thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ and PA (ex lives in NJ, where the case is filed, I live in PA)

I filed a Special Civil Part against my ex for a loan I took out for him a few months into our marriage to get his home out of foreclosure and truck out of repo. (no, I stupidly did not do a credit ck on him prior to being married - hope someone else is learning from this). After his house was clear, he felt since we were married (3rd time for him, 2nd for me) that the loan should be considered "one pot" and not owe it back, but at the time told me he'd pay me back in 6 weeks (when the house would supposedly be sold - never made it on the market even after 7 years).

The Speical Civil Part case defaulted last week (he didn't respond) so I'm told I now need to "File for Judgement" in NJ in which time i was hoping we could make some deal. Until that 6 months is up, is his credit currently being affected? I would like to take as long as i can to try to work a plan out. He apologized, but has no intent on paying anything back. He said at this point I have ruined his credit for 7 years, so why bother. There's nothing filed with the court (that would be 2 steps from now if I garnished his payck or had a lien on his house) financially so I'm just looking to see if indeed his credit is ruined for 7 years at this point.

thank you.
This matter was settled in the divorce proceeding. What you did was improper. I hope that he gets the default reversed and once that's done, that he wins and pursues a case against you for malicious prosecution.

ETA: I see that you don't have a judgment yet...

Bethy

No, this was not settled in the divorce proceedings. We had a separation agreement for him to pay me back $500/month until the 12k was done. However, he filed a quickie divorce (which I didn't know the separation agreement had to be included to be a part of the divorce proceedings and he did not include it) you see on the billboards and I signed thinking the separation agreement was still enforceable, but it is not. I saw a lawyer who works for both NJ & PA and said I'd have to take him to civil court to see if a judge would uphold the separation agreement (he didn't make payments) as the divorce was filed in some yonder county 10 hours away in PA.

Of course I don't have a judgement yet -- I have just filed the Special Civil Part while defaulted on 4/9. The court told me I need to now file for judgement.

You really have a nasty streak in you, don't you.

This matter was settled in the divorce proceeding. What you did was improper. I hope that he gets the default reversed and once that's done, that he wins and pursues a case against you for malicious prosecution.

ETA: I see that you don't have a judgment yet...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, this was not settled in the divorce proceedings. We had a separation agreement for him to pay me back $500/month until the 12k was done. However, he filed a quickie divorce (which I didn't know the separation agreement had to be included to be a part of the divorce proceedings and he did not include it) you see on the billboards and I signed thinking the separation agreement was still enforceable, but it is not. I saw a lawyer who works for both NJ & PA and said I'd have to take him to civil court to see if a judge would uphold the separation agreement (he didn't make payments) as the divorce was filed in some yonder county 10 hours away in PA.

Of course I don't have a judgement yet -- I have just filed the Special Civil Part while defaulted on 4/9. The court told me I need to now file for judgement.

You really have a nasty streak in you, don't you.
I'll betcha that all claims were settled in your divorce...check more closely.

Good day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">