• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does abuse warrent Emancipation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

opa831

Hello my name is Heather, I am 16 years of age. I filled for Emancipation 7/21/00. My request was denied. The hostile and stifling eviroment in my home continues. I plan to file for Emancipation again. Previously there was no documented evidence of abuse or violence in my home. However recently the police had to be called because my mother attacked me after a verbal dispute. (I would like to piont out that I in no way retaliated). My question is can I use this to by benefit in my pending case against them? In other words will this aid me to show that counseling,etc will not help and the situtation at home only continues to worsen? Any help with this question and any additional assistance with information or advice about my situtation, such as any thing else I could be doing to persuade the judge.Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

opa831 said:
Hello my name is Heather, I am 16 years of age. I filled for Emancipation 7/21/00. My request was denied. The hostile and stifling eviroment in my home continues. I plan to file for Emancipation again. Previously there was no documented evidence of abuse or violence in my home. However recently the police had to be called because my mother attacked me after a verbal dispute. (I would like to piont out that I in no way retaliated). My question is can I use this to by benefit in my pending case against them? In other words will this aid me to show that counseling,etc will not help and the situtation at home only continues to worsen? Any help with this question and any additional assistance with information or advice about my situtation, such as any thing else I could be doing to persuade the judge.Thank you.
My response:

Since your first attempt failed, that can only mean that you weren't able to prove all the necessary prerequisites for emancipation; not the least of which is the ability to financially take care of yourself, and not become a "burden" to the State.

Abuse is not a prerequisite to emancipation. It's a ticket, however, to being taken by the proper Agency and placed into protective custody - - i.e., taken from your home and placed in a State run shelter or a group home - - neither of which are terrific places to be.

If the police are caused to arrest your mother, and there's no one else in your family who can or will look after you, and since you're a minor, you will be taken away by the Agency and placed in one of these "shelters".

Good luck, and try to be good to each other.

IAAL

O

opa831

The reason the judge gave for not granting me emancipation was that he doesn't want to break up the family and told us, however did not order us to recieve conseling. Also I did not have my parent's aquiesence let alone consent. Although I am still in school I am capable of providing for myself finacially, I don't know if this changes your view piont at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">