• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does charge-off renew a debt when purchased by agency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heraclitus

What is the name of your state?Florida.

When collection agencies purchase charge-offs from debtors, does it renew old debt?

I have ignored payment requests for 5-7 years and am starting to rebuild credit now. I am receiving a flood of new collection notices prior to new bankruptcy law taking effect.

Am I exposed?

JETX

heraclitus said:
When collection agencies purchase charge-offs from debtors, does it renew old debt?
Nope. Though you don't say what you mean by 'renew', the purchase or assignent of a debt to another does NOT reset the SOL clock or the reporting clock (on your credit report).

I have ignored payment requests for 5-7 years and am starting to rebuild credit now. I am receiving a flood of new collection notices prior to new bankruptcy law taking effect.

Am I exposed?
If the SOL has expired on the debt, you can simply ignore them or you can send them a 'cease and desist' letter. For a sample of this letter, go to: www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/

heraclitus

thank you

JETX said:
Nope. Though you don't say what you mean by 'renew', the purchase or assignent of a debt to another does NOT reset the SOL clock or the reporting clock (on your credit report).

If the SOL has expired on the debt, you can simply ignore them or you can send them a 'cease and desist' letter. For a sample of this letter, go to: www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/

thank you for your response

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">