• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does copyright still exist without being registered?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? FL.

My last post won't allow me to post or reply to questions. I'm not sure if its some website glitch or something.

Anyway, to answer the question
" Did the company use its IP as collateral on the loan?

Is the IP federally registered? "

The answer is, No. The company did not specifically use the IP for collateral on a loan.

The question about the IP being registered, I am not 100% sure that it was or not but there was copyright notification posted all over the website on the bottom disclaimer. So anyone using it was clearly informed of the copyright.

I guess the question is if you are able to win a lawsuit if the copyrighted IP has not been registered?

I thought there was some kind of automatically copyright that existed even if its not registered.

Does every episode of a movie and TV show episode get uniquely registered or is there some kind of automatically copyright that happens?

adjusterjack

Copyright protection attaches the moment the work is created. Registration enhances that protection but registration, while certainly advisable, is not necessity for copyright protection to apply.

Beyond that, I have no idea what you are talking about. If you are referring to a previous thread with additional information, post a link to it.

quincy

What is the name of your state? FL.

My last post won't allow me to post or reply to questions. I'm not sure if its some website glitch or something.

Anyway, to answer the question
" Did the company use its IP as collateral on the loan?

Is the IP federally registered? "

The answer is, No. The company did not specifically use the IP for collateral on a loan.

The question about the IP being registered, I am not 100% sure that it was or not but there was copyright notification posted all over the website on the bottom disclaimer. So anyone using it was clearly informed of the copyright.

I guess the question is if you are able to win a lawsuit if the copyrighted IP has not been registered?

I thought there was some kind of automatically copyright that existed even if its not registered.

Does every episode of a movie and TV show episode get uniquely registered or is there some kind of automatically copyright that happens?
Here is a link to your other thread, Camalot:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/writ-of-execution-on-a-company-itself-and-or-intellutual-property-investments-etc.658577/

Thank you for returning to answer the questions I asked of you. Your answers tell me that you have no security interest in the IP.

Your previous thread was “locked” to further responses because everything that could be said had pretty much already been said - and the advice to you was not going to change. You will need to see an attorney in Florida for legal assistance.

Acquiring the rights to someone else’s copyrights or patents requires an assignment or transfer of these rights by the rights-holder. These rights cannot be levied and you cannot use a writ of execution.

In my last post on the other thread, I linked to a paper that explains the difficulty in using a debtor’s IP to satisfy a post-judgment debt. Please read the paper and find an attorney to assist you in your collection efforts.

You are holding a $1 million judgment. The longer you wait, the less likely your chances are of collecting on the judgment.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">