• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does it take so much time to complete the whole procedure? Will it help me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liamlogan

Hi, I am a builder. Our team is doing so many promotions for our upcoming projects. But now we are facing copyright problems. I found that our images and design concepts are being used by others for their business promotions. So I am planning to copyright my business. Does it take so much time to complete the whole procedure? Will it help me? Please share your thoughts.

quincy

Hi, I am a builder. Our team is doing so many promotions for our upcoming projects. But now we are facing copyright problems. I found that our images and design concepts are being used by others for their business promotions. So I am planning to copyright my business. Does it take so much time to complete the whole procedure? Will it help me? Please share your thoughts.
You appear to be confusing “copyright” with “trademark.”

Copyrights protect original and creative works and trademarks are used to distinguish one company’s goods and services from those of all others.

Copyrights are automatic. A creative work has copyright protection as soon as it is fixed in tangible form (pen to paper, paint to canvas, music to recorder). The creator of the work is considered the copyright holder, absent any agreement to the contrary. The photographer owns rights in the photos he takes; the artist owns rights in the images he draws.

Although copyright protection is automatic, the copyrights in works can be federally registered for added protection and to make the copyright holder eligible for statutory damages in case of infringement.

The name, logo, slogan, etc., that is used to identify a company is the trademark. Trademark rights arise from the use of the trademark in commerce. As with copyrights, federal registration of a mark is not required for trademark protection. In the US, the presumed owner of the trademark is the one who first uses the mark in commerce to identify goods/services.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">