• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does keeping my car void buyback?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

I wish it was a lemon buy back -- thing I could ding them for $$$$ for illegally selling a buyback as a cpo!

Cpo?

In itself it is not unlawful to sell a lemon buyback.

As to keeping the vehicle and dumping it later;

If they fix it, it no longer qualifies. If something happens in the future, whether it would fall under the lemon laws requiring the manufacturer to buy back the vehicle would be determine on the facts at that time.

There are laws in place limiting what deductions can be made.

You won’t get more than your actual costs though, at most so, unless you can purchase a like vehicle for the same price, then no you won’t get enough to purchase a similar vehicle.

There seems to be a magic number: 18,000 miles. It appears there are different rules in determining whether a vehicle can be classified a lemon before and after that milestone.

justalayman

Some new cars have a "low power mode" built in as a fail safe. If the problem is bad enough that damage may be caused by further operation of the vehicle, the low power mode comes on in order to protect it and help prevent or lessen damage.
Ya. A friend with a Cadillac CTS ran into that. Something about lubricating the steering shaft. It made for a VERY slow drive home that day. Even after knowing what the issue was, is still don’t know why it went into limp mode. Maybe Cadillac figures all drivers are over 90 and any added resistance to steering effort would be hazardous.

I thought they were shooting for a younger hipper demographic

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ya. A friend with a Cadillac CTS ran into that. Something about lubricating the steering shaft. It made for a VERY slow drive home that day. Even after knowing what the issue was, is still don’t know why it went into limp mode. Maybe Cadillac figures all drivers are over 90 and any added resistance to steering effort would be hazardous.

I thought they were shooting for a younger hipper demographic
I have an older truck that had a problem with an additional "high pressure" fuel pump (because of the direct injection) in the engine. When that started giving problems, the car would go in to that mode. It had two speeds: Idle and 12rpm over idle. (I'm exaggerating, but not much.)

justalayman

I like that calling it certified pre-owned actually means something out there. It would appear it prevents selling a flood damaged car as cpo as well.
So, as it stands it shouldn’t be a lemon buy back or flood car. I guess it’s just cpo poc.

If op is concerned about long term issues I would suggest he divest himself of the car while he has the opportunity. Once it’s fixed, he risks being stuck with a possible ticking time bomb and it may not fall back under the lemon law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">