• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does landlord owe me a new toilet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iport

What is the name of your state? CA
My toilet was making that constant running noise. It was not clogged. For some reason maintenance aggressively used a snake on it, I guess to make sure something wasn't in fact stuck in there as that is a fairly common thing? That created very unsightly huge scratches that make the toilet look unclean, as if there is human waste in there. I tried to upload a picture but it looks like the picture has to come from a hyperlink to be uploaded on this forum?

They have been unable to mask the sight of these with spray paint (which we all knew wouldn't work anyway). The property management claims they cannot replace a toilet that is working even though they acknowledge they caused the scratches and that it does look really bad. Is this true that they don't have to replace it? Can I make them just give me a whole new toilet since it looks disgusting through no fault of my own?

Gail in Georgia

If the toilet is now working without issue (and constantly running likely meant either the flapper or the "guts" in the tank needed replacing) there is no need to replace it simply because the bowl now has scratches from the snaking. Those are simply cosmetic issues that do not affect the performance of the toilet.
Management is under no obligation to replace the toilet if it is functioning simply because you don't like the scratches. Put the lid down when not using the thing.

Gail

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? CA
My toilet was making that constant running noise. It was not clogged. For some reason maintenance aggressively used a snake on it, I guess to make sure something wasn't in fact stuck in there as that is a fairly common thing? That created very unsightly huge scratches that make the toilet look unclean, as if there is human waste in there. I tried to upload a picture but it looks like the picture has to come from a hyperlink to be uploaded on this forum?

They have been unable to mask the sight of these with spray paint (which we all knew wouldn't work anyway). The property management claims they cannot replace a toilet that is working even though they acknowledge they caused the scratches and that it does look really bad. Is this true that they don't have to replace it? Can I make them just give me a whole new toilet since it looks disgusting through no fault of my own?
No. You don't get a new toilet because of scratches inside the bowl....just close the lid and you won't see them.

xylene

Paint? The real solution is acid to etch out the deeply embedded metal particles that cause the unsightly discoloration.

I have had this very issue and fixed it in that manor.

Just Blue

Paint? The real solution is acid to etch out the deeply embedded metal particles that cause the unsightly discoloration.

I have had this very issue and fixed it in that manor.
To be clear, the LL is not likely to pay for the repair of the scratches. Which are only noticeable if you are starting into the toilet...which is not really something most people do.

reenzz

By law, the landlord is required to only prove a working toilet. He is NOT required to supply a pretty toilet. You can however, ask him if you can replace the toilet at your own expense.

Iport

https://ibb.co/bQ7rZFC
I didn't know how to just insert an image directly. So above is a link to a photo of it.

@Just Blue – these are hardly scratches only noticeable if you are staring into the toilet. It looks like someone just took a massive $*%! in there and did not clean it. I would not care if it was incidental scratches.

@reenzz – I understand the landlord doesn't have to supply a pretty toilet. But isn't that different than the toilet being spotless and then due to a maintenance error it looking disgusting?

Just Blue

https://ibb.co/bQ7rZFC
I didn't know how to just insert an image directly. So above is a link to a photo of it.

@Just Blue – these are hardly scratches only noticeable if you are staring into the toilet. It looks like someone just took a massive $*%! in there and did not clean it. I would not care if it was incidental scratches.

@reenzz – I understand the landlord doesn't have to supply a pretty toilet. But isn't that different than the toilet being spotless and then due to a maintenance error it looking disgusting?
Yeah...it looks a bit like skid marks...but it's not. You can let your guests know that it's scratches, and not skid marks left by a "massive $*%!", when they ask to use the bathroom.

Don't renew in 6 months if it truly bothers you so much...or you could look into having it repaired on your dime.

Honestly...You're in Cali with half the state on fire...people are dying, people are homeless because their homes burnt to the ground...don't sweat the small stuff.

Iport

I'm confused to as what this forum is for. I'm not looking for people to tell me if I'm being neurotic, petty, or selfish towards "bigger problems in the world." I'm looking to see if I have legal rights to have my toilet replaced to what it was before it was damaged by maintenance (who admitted they did the damage).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">