• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does paying a month's rent guarantee the full month?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joe Gahona

What is the name of your state? New York City

Sorry for the convoluted question. Here's the situation;

I'm on a lease that was to end at the end of May. It's a two-bedroom apartment and the rent is $1,950. At the beginning of May I asked my landlord to ask for an additional month, because I found a new apartment (a few miles away) that wouldn't be vacant until July 1. My landlord agreed to grant me the additional month, I paid him, and that was that.

Now, my new apartment isn't going to be available until July 4, which leaves me four days without an apartment. I wrote my current landlord a detailed letter explaining the situation, and asking him whether it was possible to stay four extra days (and pay the rent for those four days, of course). I called him yesterday to follow up on the letter. For some reason, he was angry and rude, and said stuff like, "I'm not playing your game anymore; this is a business, we're not friends; I gave you a month already; I'm now going to charge you for the whole month of July, that's the only way this is going to work." I replied: "I completely understand what you're saying," to which he said: "Good, then I'm putting it in writing, good-bye," and he hung up on me without giving me a change to respond or clarify.

Also, I took in a roommate several months ago. She is not on the lease. Turns out, she really needs this additional month, and she has agreed to foot the entire $1,950 for the month of July. So it seems she and I both win: I get to move out July 4, and she gets the additional month, even if it will cost her.

My questions:

1) When I pay the $1,950 for July, does that guarantee me lodging for the entire month of July, or is the landlord trying to make me pay $1,950 for those four days?

2) Is there any problem with me moving out July 4 and leaving only my roomate there for the remainder of July, even though she's not on the lease. (Let's assume she leaves without problem at the end of July; that's a completely different issue and I'm aware that it's my name on the lease.)

Sorry about the length of this message. Thanks for reading.

1: You pay for a month you get a month.

2: If your roomate is not in violation of the rental agreement for any reason (like term of guest stay) then you should have no problems. Consider stopping into the old apt once a week just to keep up appearances.

south

The unit is still yours for the month of July, best hope that your roommate really leaves at end of July.

Joe Gahona said:
What is the name of your state? New York City

Sorry for the convoluted question. Here's the situation;

I'm on a lease that was to end at the end of May. It's a two-bedroom apartment and the rent is $1,950. At the beginning of May I asked my landlord to ask for an additional month, because I found a new apartment (a few miles away) that wouldn't be vacant until July 1. My landlord agreed to grant me the additional month, I paid him, and that was that.

Now, my new apartment isn't going to be available until July 4, which leaves me four days without an apartment. I wrote my current landlord a detailed letter explaining the situation, and asking him whether it was possible to stay four extra days (and pay the rent for those four days, of course). I called him yesterday to follow up on the letter. For some reason, he was angry and rude, and said stuff like, "I'm not playing your game anymore; this is a business, we're not friends; I gave you a month already; I'm now going to charge you for the whole month of July, that's the only way this is going to work." I replied: "I completely understand what you're saying," to which he said: "Good, then I'm putting it in writing, good-bye," and he hung up on me without giving me a change to respond or clarify.

Also, I took in a roommate several months ago. She is not on the lease. Turns out, she really needs this additional month, and she has agreed to foot the entire $1,950 for the month of July. So it seems she and I both win: I get to move out July 4, and she gets the additional month, even if it will cost her.

My questions:

1) When I pay the $1,950 for July, does that guarantee me lodging for the entire month of July, or is the landlord trying to make me pay $1,950 for those four days?

2) Is there any problem with me moving out July 4 and leaving only my roomate there for the remainder of July, even though she's not on the lease. (Let's assume she leaves without problem at the end of July; that's a completely different issue and I'm aware that it's my name on the lease.)

Sorry about the length of this message. Thanks for reading.

Joe Gahona

Thank you both. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

One more thing, when the landlord told me, "I'm charging you for July; and I'm now putting it into writing," and hung up, what do you think he meant? Is he sending me a letter? And if so, what should I anticipate in the letter? I'm a bit confused regarding what to expect, because the last time I got a month extension, it was me who sent a letter to him.

He probably just means he is going to make sure you understand there is no wiggle room and you better not try to get away with only paying a few days or something. He may provide you a letter, but either way I wouldn't worry about it too much, just pay the month and pay on time.

south

He means; he is charging you for July and will be putting that in writing. :rolleyes:

Joe Gahona said:
Thank you both. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

One more thing, when the landlord told me, "I'm charging you for July; and I'm now putting it into writing," and hung up, what do you think he meant? Is he sending me a letter? And if so, what should I anticipate in the letter? I'm a bit confused regarding what to expect, because the last time I got a month extension, it was me who sent a letter to him.

Hmmmm.......I'm sure that renting out apartments in NYC and renting houses in Amarillo, TX is not exactly the same, but I would be thrilled to have a good tenant stay for an additional month and PAY the whole amount!

What I would do is this: YOU send HIM a letter stating that you will pay the entire $1950 and will vacate the apartment by 11:59pm on July 31st. Send the rent $$ ASAP. If he cashes the check, or accepts the money (however you're paying) it's yours for July. That way YOU'LL have it in writing - case closed.

Then I'd make darn sure that your roomie is in deed moving out by then. Go over and help her pack if necessary.

Good luck!
Karla in Amarillo

Joe Gahona

south said:
He means; he is charging you for July and will be putting that in writing. :rolleyes:
Yeah, that did sound pretty dumb. :cool:

As I suspected, my landlord sent me a letter that confirms we had the phone conversation and closes with: "If you hold over beyond June 30, 2005 we will insist on your paying the rent for the month of July. I am not willing to try to rent for a partial month."

I doubt he thinks I'll pay, but Monday I'm mailing him the July rent check and a letter comfirming I'll be moved on July 31.

south

And I am sure he will welcome the check

Joe Gahona said:
Yeah, that did sound pretty dumb. :cool:

As I suspected, my landlord sent me a letter that confirms we had the phone conversation and closes with: "If you hold over beyond June 30, 2005 we will insist on your paying the rent for the month of July. I am not willing to try to rent for a partial month."

I doubt he thinks I'll pay, but Monday I'm mailing him the July rent check and a letter comfirming I'll be moved on July 31.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">