• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does the beneficiary have to be US resident?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rgnair

What is the name of your state? TX
1. Is it necessary that the beneficiary be a US resident.
2. Is it necessary for the beneficiary to have a SSN.

Thanks
Raghu.

ALawyer

No to both. Many policies are taken out to protect non-citizen spouses.

Some thoughts though. Insurance company underwriters often become concerned when an applicant for a policy names as the beneficiary a non-relative, especially absent a clear purpose for the insurance. When the person is overseas (absent a dependent or similar family relationship) they may become more concerned. In part it may be because the more unusual the relationships, the more concern the companies have that the beneficiary may want to kill the insured, or the insured may know something bad about his or her health or hobbies and he is taking out the policy to create a windfall.

If the payment becomes due, they ask for identificantion, and may have to withhold a portion of the DELAYED SETTLEMENT INTEREST that might otherwise be payable from date of death.

R

rgnair

The beneficiary is my brother

I was thinking of having my brother who is in Singapore as the beneficiary. I hope that should not be a problem.

R

RickBryan

Non-US resident beneficiary

My concern as well is with the new USA Patriot Act, which may raise other issues regarding transfer of assets (money) outside the US.

I think though since few know exactly what the new law says on this issue, you can go ahead and name your brother as beneficiary without undue concern.

Rick Bryan
New York, NY

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">