• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does the Lemon Law apply in my case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Popaholic

I am from Beloit, Wisconsin. I bought a used car from a 21-year-old girl I work with in Rockford, Illinois. The car I bought was described as well running and she told me she HAD NEVER HAD any problems with it. She was only selling it because she wanted a different car. Within a week of buying the car I was told that I would need a front-end alignment because the struts were badly worn. I was also told that the tires were worn because of the front end needing so much work. I also found out from this mechanic that the radiator was leaking. We were told that it was leaking because there was no thermostat in it. I made the minimal repairs and mentioned it in passing to the girl I bought it from and all she had to say was, "It never did that when I owned it". A few weeks later the driver's side window would not go up because the switch went bad in it. The mechanic said that in that model/make of car it would need to have the entire window electrical box replaced because all the windows, convertible top and rear window defroster all ran off the same electrical box and that the switches were all linked together. When I mentioned this to the girl I bought it from I again was given the DUMB look and the It never did that to me routine. When the timing chain and water pump went out, I lost it. I missed a day’s work; my son was late for school and my husband had to miss 3 hours of work to help get the car home. The girl I bought it from only apologized and that was that. She said I could not touch her legally because she was an individual seller and because I had the car for almost 1 1/2 months. Is this true? Do I have a legal leg to stand on? I did not confront her when it all started falling apart because I was not aware of the Lemon Law. Also because I work with her and did not want to cause a problem in the workplace. I have tried to keep it civil, but now she is making a big deal about me checking into my legal rights.
What can I do to get back some of my money? If not all of it. The car will require more money to fix than what I paid for it. Please help me!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Sorry. She is absolutely correct, and you're out of luck. The Lemon Law only affect new cars - - not used cars that are purchased in a private sale.

It was your responsibility to have the car inspected by your own mechanic prior to purchase. Since you didn't, everything that occurs to that car is your responsibility. There is no such thing as an implied warranty in a private sale of a car.

Caveat Emptor.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">