• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does the ordinance referenced below apply to weeds in a back yard? And can a zoning officer threaten to take you to court without first notifying you?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayrollHRGuy

When I found this site, I figured I’d take a chance and ask for some advice to find out if what this “code enforcer” is doing is even legal? But I now see that was a mistake, because instead of getting advice, I’m having to deal with people like cbg and yourself.
Your question was answered. What the code enforcement officer is doing is legal.

Julio2468

Your question was answered. What the code enforcement officer is doing is legal.
I’ve looked on the township’s website and found that the penalty for failing to comply is that they come in and cut the grass and then assess the costs as a lean on the property. Going to court is not even an option. So threatening to take someone to court by charging them with a violation they may not even actually be violating, simply because this enforcer knows that trying to fight the violation is more costly is certainly not right and should be illegal, even if you claim that it shouldn’t.

I can threaten to take you to court for failing to comply with the ordinance that requires you to jump up three times. Are you going to spend time and money to take me to court to fight that charge or are you simply going to jump up three times and get it over with? My opinion it that it’s certainly wrong to do that and it should be illegal if it's not already, which is what I’m currently trying to find out.

Thanks to everyone who has given their opinions on this matter, but I’ve found another online site that deals with the law and have made much more progress over there. Good day to everyone…

Last edited:

adjusterjack

I can threaten to take you to court for failing to comply with the ordinance that requires you to jump up three times. Are you going to spend time and money to take me to court to fight that charge or are you simply going to jump up three times and get it over with?
No, I'm going to ignore you, wait and see if you actually make good on your threat and not lose any sleep over it.

Which is what you should be doing.

Thanks for wasting out time by repeating the same stuff over and over. :cautious:

Julio2468

No, I'm going to ignore you, wait and see if you actually make good on your threat and not lose any sleep over it.

Which is what you should be doing.

Thanks for wasting out time by repeating the same stuff over and over.
I think you may have misunderstood my example. I wasn't threatening you specifically to jump three times. I was simply using that as a hypothetical situation to help illiterate how someone of authority can abuse their position to force anyone into a situation where compliance is the better option, even though they were not doing anything wrong.

I apologize if you took that any other way. My intention was not to insult you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word, help, in the context of this forum. It does not mean, tell me what I want to hear whether it's the correct answer or not. It means, provide the legally correct answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">