• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does the owner have a right to a key for thier commercial property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoshC

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I purchased a commercial property from an owner occupant. The contract says the seller has 30 days to deliver the property in broom swept condition. I have requested a copy of the key to do a pre inspection and to update the camera system but the seller is refusing to give me a copy of the key. The seller is out of state and I would also like a key in case of an emergency. Is it in my right to force them to give me a copy or can I legally just change the locks?

Thanks in advance!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I purchased a commercial property from an owner occupant. The contract says the seller has 30 days to deliver the property in broom swept condition. I have requested a copy of the key to do a pre inspection and to update the camera system but the seller is refusing to give me a copy of the key. The seller is out of state and I would also like a key in case of an emergency. Is it in my right to force them to give me a copy or can I legally just change the locks?

Thanks in advance!
Have you already gone through closing? The property is paid for in full and you have recorded the deed in your name?

adjusterjack

The contract says the seller has 30 days to deliver the property in broom swept condition.
What does your contract say about an inspection before close of escrow (if you are still in escrow)?

If escrow is closed then you own the building and can do whatever you like.

Please clarify your situation if you want further conversation.

LdiJ

That's is what I thought as well. I will get an attourney to draft something up tomorrow. Thank you!
I will play the devil's advocate for just a moment. Its possible in many states to close escrow while still giving the former owner a specific period of time, after the close of escrow, to vacate the premises. If the prior owner still has personal property in the unit, and/or is still operating a business in the unit, and has 30 days after escrow to vacate, then you cannot lock them out. So, if you change the locks you might have to make sure that they still have access.

When you talk to the attorney address that with him or her.

HRZ

I don't know why you need an attorney to get a key...just figure out the mechanics of same .

If the closing is a done deal, you were super unwise to not confirm that the place was empty and brook clean a few hours before closing .

Personally I would be there to secure access , take pictures and more ..tomorrow if not sooner ...whether or not you provide past owner any access depends on whether on not he has any rights past the closing. And if he has an "stuff" still there I would start a war dance to get paid before I allow anything to go out the door. IT may be 98% bully power.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">