• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does this non-compete apply?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BAA189

I live in Illinois and had to sign a non-compete agreement with my real estate company stating that I would not work for "any entity or person that competes" with my company. I just had an opportunity to freelance with a real estate agent in Miami, FL though for another real estate company. Would it go against my non-compete if I did this?

My company is an affiliate of a brand that does business around the globe but the company is independently owned and operated. The prospective realtor works for a brand (Century 21) that is country-wide but the office he works for is "independently owned and operated."

Also, the non-compete says I cannot work for a competitor "within the Chicagoland area" and this realtor only works in South Florida. Lastly, the noncompete states a "residential real estate company" but this realtor works in "commercial real estate."

I also noticed on the site of the company the prospective realtor works for it says "Any services or products provided by independently owned and operated franchisees are not provided by, affiliated with or related to Century 21 Real Estate LLC nor any of its affiliated companies."

I'd appreciate any help on this so much!

Last edited:

quincy

You will need to have your noncompete agreement personally reviewed in its entirety by an attorney in your area to determine what you can and can't do. We cannot analyze legal documents on this forum.

South Florida is well outside the Chicago area so you would not violate the geographical area restriction in your Illinois noncompete if you worked in South Florida but there could be an issue working for a competing company in Florida that has offices or clients in the Chicago area.

Are you licensed in both Illinois and Florida?

BAA189

You will need to have your noncompete agreement personally reviewed in its entirety by an attorney in your area to determine what you can and can't do. We cannot analyze legal documents on this forum.

South Florida is well outside the Chicago area so you would not violate the geographical area restriction in your Illinois noncompete if you worked in South Florida but there could be an issue working for a competing company in Florida that has offices or clients in the Chicago area.

Are you licensed in both Illinois and Florida?
Thanks, no I'm just a marketing coordinator that does the marketing for the real estate agents. I think if the South Florida office is not affiliated with or related to Century 21 then it makes that office's business unique to South Florida maybe? I know for a fact those real estate agents in that office do not do business here in Chicago...

quincy

Thanks, no I'm just a marketing coordinator that does the marketing for the real estate agents. I think if the South Florida office is not affiliated with or related to Century 21 then it makes that office's business unique to South Florida maybe? I know for a fact those real estate agents in that office do not do business here in Chicago...
I recommend you take your noncompete agreement to an attorney in your area for a complete review of the agreement in its entirety.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">