• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dog attack on dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kathleen richard

My dog was attacked in New Hampshire by another dog. We were on a mutual friends property. The attacking dog was on a leash but when released immediately ran to and attacked my dog(unleased) without provocation. The owner's of the dog vowed to pay any expensed and expressed regret and blame. when the vet bill came in they said they never claimed that they would pay and sent a check for half the bill with final settlement written on it. Can I cash the check and take them to small claims for the rest of the bill?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Does your state have a leash law? Because I think they are right in only having to pay half the bill --> your dog should have been leashed.

As to cashing the check: if you cash the check as is, you lose all rights to sue them in the future.

You could write on the check (cashed under protest or contesting total amount paid or not payment in full). I am not sure if it will hold up though....sort of a judgment call by judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">