• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dog attack

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cb19op

What is the name of your state? tx
my sister lives with my mother who has recently become disabled because of a bad surgery on acreage just outside the city limits and is caring for her. she was living overseas and has come home for this purpose. she is living off a small business income but is otherwise unemployed and has no medical insurance. one man owns the two lots on one side of my mothers. he resides on the furtherest one and rents the adjacent lot to a tenant. this tenant owns a large dog which he keeps in a small area maybe an 8 by 10 which consists of metal poes staked into the ground with metal fencing attached. over thanksgiving my sister was keeping my beagle. she had the dog on a leash and was walking him out back to the pond. the tenants dog dug himself out came onto my mothers property and attacked the beagle causing a foot long gash about the neck. the injury required several stiches but he made it. my sister trying to save the beagles life pounced on top of him and the dog bit her on the forearm causing a significant gash which became infected all the way into the shoulder area because it was so deep and required a three day hospital stay. fortunantly the injury is healing but left an awful scar. total medical bills are 6000 dollars. at first the tenant agreed to pay all medical bills but since has balked and is hiding out even after the hospital offered a third off if paid. i paid the vet bill but because the hospital does not allow third party assigns my sister is presently responsible to the hospital and does not have the resources to pay it. we have a sherriffs report copies of all bills and pictures of the injuries. is this crimanal or cival. what should be her course of action.

HomeGuru

cb19op said:
What is the name of your state? tx
my sister lives with my mother who has recently become disabled because of a bad surgery on acreage just outside the city limits and is caring for her. she was living overseas and has come home for this purpose. she is living off a small business income but is otherwise unemployed and has no medical insurance. one man owns the two lots on one side of my mothers. he resides on the furtherest one and rents the adjacent lot to a tenant. this tenant owns a large dog which he keeps in a small area maybe an 8 by 10 which consists of metal poes staked into the ground with metal fencing attached. over thanksgiving my sister was keeping my beagle. she had the dog on a leash and was walking him out back to the pond. the tenants dog dug himself out came onto my mothers property and attacked the beagle causing a foot long gash about the neck. the injury required several stiches but he made it. my sister trying to save the beagles life pounced on top of him and the dog bit her on the forearm causing a significant gash which became infected all the way into the shoulder area because it was so deep and required a three day hospital stay. fortunantly the injury is healing but left an awful scar. total medical bills are 6000 dollars. at first the tenant agreed to pay all medical bills but since has balked and is hiding out even after the hospital offered a third off if paid. i paid the vet bill but because the hospital does not allow third party assigns my sister is presently responsible to the hospital and does not have the resources to pay it. we have a sherriffs report copies of all bills and pictures of the injuries. is this crimanal or cival. what should be her course of action.
**A: civil and she need to hire an attorney and sue.

C

cb19op

the dog was checked and had his shots. otherwise he is still being kept as before. to me it is like what if this dog gets out again and attacks some child walking his or her dog. my sister was very fortunant but the next person may not be. if it were me i would get somebody out there to force the tenant to make better facilities to keep the dog since i guess he is being allowed to keep it. i also would believe the tenant is fully responsible for all medical bills under any circumstances for being negligent in properly securing his animal. what if the dog had atacked my sisters neck in the same fashion as he went after the beagle. the results could have been devastating.

C

cb19op

i am probably in the wrong forum and aplogies. i guess if this is a civil suit that is all that needs to be said. it is the finances and the trauma of the last 2 years and lord. any other direction appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">