• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog attack

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Hello everyone,
I like to thank all to take the time to reply to my post. Here are some facts;
1.- I was waking on the opposite side of the street.
2.- The attack occurred near a middle school ( I climb the school fence).
3.- the dog came running at me, I was not going to wait to see if the dog wanted to play or not, I ran as fast as I could.
4.- I did contact LASD police to obtain a copy of any images they may have ( school has a sign " all activities monitor video"
but they don't have any cameras pointing that direction.
5.- I knocked on 2 houses with video cameras, they don't save images after 48 hours.
6.- I was able to take some pictures with the dog owner holding the dog by the collar (no dog leash)
7.-The same dog chased my daughter few months before, I did not report the incident to be a good neighbor.
8.- According to the lawyer insurances companies have a list of dog breeds they cover, therefore no money for the lawyer
is because the insurance will cancel the policy but they will not pay. As the lawyer told me ok we take them to court we win the case no insurances; who is going to pay?
9.- but for the that the dog chased me I would not have claimed the fence, I'm too old and sick.
10.- my daughter did an animal attack report the same day I did.

I hope this helps.

thanks for your time!
Again, I believe you will have a difficult time showing the dog caused your injury, as you describe the incident.

If you took a photo of the dog from your perch on the fence, however, it may have some value in court if it shows the unrestrained dog and the owner pulling it away.

You can go ahead and sue the dog owner regardless of what I think, by the way. A judge might see the facts differently than I. :)

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I find it interesting that the attorney believes the other party's insurance won't pay. Generally, they'd pay and the drop the guy like a hot potato. Of course, if German Shepherds are specifically excluded from his policy, it would be a different matter. I suspect that there's more to it that you don't know. For example, it's quite likely that the attorney didn't feel there was enough money in it to expend the effort pursuing it.

rob-cal

Hey guys,

thanks for the replies,
I'm not looking to make money on this "accident" as stated in my initial post; I tried to talk to the dog owner to pay for my medical bill. I'm a homeowner myself, I know how difficult is to pay insurances for everything, at the same time why should I have to pay for something that is not my fault? I hate to be in this position, I already have a lot to deal with, no need for more problems. :mad: What did I do wrong? on the other hand, I don't know how I was able to climb the wire fence I guess adrenaline? fear? instinct?o_O
A lawyer called me today " did the dog bite you?" No, " well next time don't run, let the dog bite you"(n) no thank you. I'll continue with my treatment and take the dog owner to small claims court.
Finally, at the time of the report, I was informed that no dog was registered to that particular address. :mad:

quincy

It is definitely better for you from a medical standpoint that the dog did not bite you. From a legal standpoint, a bite would have helped you in a lawsuit against the dog owner.

I don't advise anyone purposely get bitten just to help with a lawsuit, though. :)

Again, I suggest you gather what evidence you have beyond medical expenses that can show the dog caused or was the proximate cause of your injuries. It is too bad there is no video of the incident.

Good luck.

rob-cal

Something to share with the forum members.

http://www.christian-attorney.net/dog_who_liable_bite_attack_california_law.html

Apparently, no bite is needed to sue for damage according to this article. H
I hope this help other, authorities should require dog insurances, just like car insurance is required to drive on the road.:cool:
I have 3 small dogs and I take them for a walk, but I'm getting tired of seeing dog owner bringing them inside supermarkets, pharmacies and other business. They are not humans :mad:

Thanks!!!

Just Blue

http://www.christian-attorney.net/dog_who_liable_bite_attack_california_law.html

I hope this help other, authorities should require dog insurances, just like car insurance is required to drive on the road.:cool:
I have 3 small dogs and I take them for a walk, but I'm getting tired of seeing dog owner bringing them inside supermarkets, pharmacies and other business. They are not humans :mad:

Thanks!!!
A lot of people drive without insurance. :(

quincy

Thanks!!!
Thank you for the private message, rob-cal.

I think you will have a difficult time in court showing the dog/dog owner was the cause of your injury.

But I wish you good luck.

rob-cal

A lot of people drive without insurance. :(
I know a few years ago I was rear-ended, the drive didn't have insurances. I have full coverage, they fix my car and paid medical bills. Here (CA) insurances are expensive my yearly payment is $4000+ per year, home owner+ 2 vehicles :mad:

rob-cal

Thank you for the private message, rob-cal.

I think you will have a difficult time in court showing the dog/dog owner was the cause of your injury.

But I wish you good luck.
If nothing else the dog owner will think twice about leaving his gate open and be a responsible dog owner. no one should have to suffer a dog attack even if the dog is a chihuahua.

Thank you!

keep the good work(y)

Gail in Georgia

"Two days later I went to a chiropractor, took some images an told me that it may take "20 visits to fix the problem". I want to happy because I have a copay, "

No offense but I think this is one of your problems. Once you cross the threshold with these guys you sign up for weeks (or months) of what they describe as "adjustments". Often totally useless.

Gail

quincy

"Two days later I went to a chiropractor, took some images an told me that it may take "20 visits to fix the problem". I want to happy because I have a copay, "

No offense but I think this is one of your problems. Once you cross the threshold with these guys you sign up for weeks (or months) of what they describe as "adjustments". Often totally useless.

Gail
I share your opinion of chiropractors.

rob-cal

Gail
I understand your point, however, I went to the closest chiropractor using my insurance website. After my first visit, I went to a different Chiropractor. just like any profession, they are bad apples everywhere, I can not put all chiropractors on the same bag that is just not fair. just like the lawyer that suggested " next time don't run, let the dog bite you" good and bad professional work on both sides of the law. I have respect for all professions......yes even lawyers.:oops:
still not happy for the co-pay:mad::mad:

quincy

Um ... if you were referring to my earlier comment about dog bites, you really misquoted and misinterpreted my statement. But I know there are good readers and bad readers. ;)

I know some people like what a chiropractor has to offer. I don't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">